| 99K Singer Portable 1954. |
I own several really old sewing machines. They mostly sit in some obscure place in my house, out of the way, since they are not in use. But are they usable? I have my husband's grandmother's Singer (I hesitate to call it portable) but have never tried using it since I had bought a new Brother 1500S to do my machine quilting. But look at the size of that opening! It's a bit bigger than my Brother. But does it work? It has that fancy dancy bullet bobbin winding apparatus on the front under the hand wheel. And it has 2 bobbins and a bullet shaped bobbin case. It hides out in the back kitchen along with the freezer, floor mops and all the other stuff most people hide in garages or basements
| 1909 Singer Sewing Machine |
Now this one scares me. Never tried plugging it in. The cords look quite unsafe. But it makes a great door stop. Again, it has a bullet bobbin. Now if only I could figure out how to wind a bobbin?
| 1898 Portable Singer Sewing Machine |
I must have gone mad that year because I bought several old machines just because I could. This 1924 treadle had been beautifully restored and the cabinet is so beautiful. However, for the price I paid for it, it should have come with a bobbin and bobbin case. I always check for the bobbin case now before considering purchasing an old machine. And why do I need so many old machines? I don't. But I like them.
Right now, this one sits tucked away in the living room. I have a chair beside it and a lamp and sometimes do hand work while watching TV. But must remember that pins often fall out and my husband always find them in his foot. I have not figured out the rhythm of sewing of this treadle without getting my fingers caught in the wheel.
| 1924 Singer Treadle |
I could not resist purchasing this really old hand crank machine. It will never work since some vital part is missing. It is used as a door stop in the quilt room.
| Hand Crank Sewing Machine Unknown make or date |
Ava started playing with this toy machine when she was barely 3. Turning that wheel by hand became the goal. Later she cut bits of fabric scraps with her tiny Dear Jane scissors with the one blunt end. My fingers are too large for those scissors. I did not put in any thread so she just fed the scraps in and let the machine "sew" them. She spent hours here in the quilt room occupied by this. But now, she is starting to use the big, real machine with thread.
| Toy Singer Sewing machine with Hand Crank |
This toy machine sat on an old bookshelf outside the guest rooms for years before I thought to bring it out to let Ava try it out. Turns out that it is much easier to use.
| Toy Hand Crank Sewing machine made in USSR |
Elly is just starting to play in here and Devan will soon be following. And, Gramma has 2 toy machines for that day.
Blessings,
Chris
Oh, the last one bought memories back to me - one of thouse was my first machine when I was about 4 or 5! It sew only chain stich but it was mine. I have 3 old Singer machines myself, and all three are my devoted working horses - I dare swapping them for a fancy new machine - for quilting my old treadle Singer is the best.
ReplyDeleteWinding a bobin is easy, you only need go through toyshops for the right size of rubber wheel for the winding wheel - I believe there are no supplies of these rubber wheels anymore, but old, broken toys are great help there.
I have a 99K hand crank machine. It's in working order, I take it to our group's quilt show and use it as a demonstration machine - because I don't have to plug it in! I also have a working featherweight, I used it for 12 months after my Pfaff went to live in the naughty corner. (and I have a few more that may or may not work)
ReplyDeleteSharon
I have the same , and i buy it in ukraine when i was living there
ReplyDeleteLa cocotte