Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

First OMG Challenge

I signed up for the OMG challenge - One Monthly Goal - thinking that it should be a piece of cake to complete these 5 Ben Biggs blocks. How wrong I was. I had too much time and did not get to it until today and have to post a blog about it by tomorrow. Tomorrow I will be sitting in a Canadian Guernsey annual meeting all day just like I was exactly a year ago when I cut out all those 140 buds and leaves out of Florianni wash a way fusible in preparation for the corner buds for  this quilt. Sigh.  To my defense, I baby sat sick little girl grand children a lot, was sick myself, took  8 year old Ava to New Brunswick to spend a week visiting Auntie Melanie and her babies, took a blogging break and had no internet for a week because of the ice storm here last week.

Ben Biggs Corner Buds so far

Also, I was machine quilting the Blue Roses quilt and having a most difficult time. My hands hurt a lot as I was trying to move the bulk around, I broke 3 needles on the Brother yesterday and finally switched to the Bernina and after resetting everything, and unstitching one of the blocks I finally completed the thing. In my mind, I could not get at the OMG because I had this thing spread out all over the tables and wanted to complete it first. Did I mention I do not do deadlines well?  


Quilting the Blue Roses

In reality I was having a too much fun working on the 1857 blocks. I had to prep a few to take with me and I ended up stitching a few extra corner leaves in preparation for the blocks to be released on Friday.The bottom 3 are not complete yet and I have not started 2 of the blocks. Those purple leaves with the hearts look a bit dark but maybe its the pink hearts that are a bit light. I am using left over reproduction fabrics from my Dear Jane journey. I did not realize just how many double pinks I had until I cut out lots of leaves using my GO cutter and custom leaf die. Those leaves are really easy to do this way and it takes about a half hour per block.

1857 Blocks so far

So, all in all, my first OMG was not an epic fail so much as I did not give it enough importance to get it done on time. I will try again next month but you will have to wait until April first to see what it will be.

Blessings,
Chris

7 comments:

  1. What a fun post Chris! The blue roses quilt looks amazing. It is great to see what you are up to even if it isn't exactly what you thought it would be!

    Hope the bug is gone for good:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the bug is gone too, but we got snow again today but it should melt quickly now that the grass is growing under it.

      Delete
  2. Chris, your applique quilts are so beautiful - both of them. The one on the wall in your sewing room is a stunner as well. I may have to do another big applique project one day but not until I finish up all of my UFO's.

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanky so much for stopping by. The one on the wall got relegated to a project box for now. It is the Beyond the Cherry Trees from Sentimental Stitches.

      Delete
  3. Chris, your applique quilts are so beautiful - both of them. The one on the wall in your sewing room is a stunner as well. I may have to do another big applique project one day but not until I finish up all of my UFO's.

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete