Pages

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Completed Quilts So Far in 2017

I was busy earlier this winter and spring completing five quilts that I took to Poland with me to give to my cousins as gifts. I made the right choice for colours. They were completely surprised and delightfully pleased.

This first one was made about 20 years ago but I misplaced the fabric for the backing and finally found it, pieced it together and sandwiched the quilt a few  years ago. I simply quilted curves diagonally starting with the corners. Robert and Krystyna love it.



This was one of the $10 quilts I had made blocks for several years ago. I bought a variety of blue and brown civil war reproduction fabrics in anticipation of completing. Ella loved it.



I had a different plan for this cousin, but my Sweet Farmer, in his great wisdom, said to quilt this one for Beata instead. I love this quilt. I used a variety of solid fabrics for crazy patch blocks and machine embroidered as many different designs as I could using variegated threads. I used the walking foot to straight stitch around the borders and sashing. Then, I made ties using some black perle cotton I found in one of the stuff drawers. The backing is a wide tan flannelette.



I have shown many pictures of this one since I started it in Shipshewana last November. Upon receiving it, Anya commented that she loved that it was a modern quilt. I had to chuckle since it is based on an antique quilt owned by Linda Collins. I started it at a workshop in Shipshewana. I believe there are 3248 pieces in this quilt. But who is counting?



Now this is the first quilt I thought about making when I had the idea more than a year ago to take quilts for my cousin  in Poland. This modern quilt was going to be perfect for a house that was decorated in basic black and white with zebra curtains and a touch of red. It is perfect - on their bed. Andrje and Ewa redid the living room with blues and yellows.



Here I used a variegated black and white thread and did large curves though each of the intersections. I like how the variegations look. I used a wide flannel backing.



 I think I deserve to start a brand new quilt. But I don't have time till May. Sigh.

Blessings,
Chris

linking with omg-one-monthly-goal
mid week makers
Moving it Forward Mondays
Let's Bee Social
Needle and Thread Thursday
needle and thread network
whoop-whoop

 

13 comments:

  1. My favorite is the one with the chain of little squares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on all of your finishes! Your piecing is amazing on the $10 quilt, it's nice to see Simple Simon again - I didn't realise that was a Linda Collins quilt and I really like the effect you achieved with the quilting on the black and white chequer board quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all wonderful quilts. Your cousins had to be thrilled. That was quite an achievement, quilting 5 quilts in one month. You definitely deserve to start new quilt in May. Do you know which quilt it will be or are you still thinking about it. Maybe Mrs. Billings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing so great with your 2017 goals, Chris! Well done. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely set of quilts - such variation! I'm sure that all the recipients were thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Chris! Those are all great quilts - thank you so much for sharing on Midweek Makers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been busy....I have yet to complete any!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW Chris how did you manage to finish all those this year all ?????? what a great achievement. all stunning quilts that I'd love to sleep under. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great finishes . It is sew satisfying when you get one finish ,but look at you and your finishes welln done!
    In stitches
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finishes! You have been productive. Love the scrappy chain quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The use of variegated thread is absolutely awesome. So simple but the effect is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the colourful one on the white background..........

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful finishes! I especially like the fourth one. Here's to another successful year of finishing UFOs.

    ReplyDelete