On my way to Rwanda back in August, I took along a Morrell Block to hand applique. I like hand applique. I like the prep work. Sometimes I can spend most of a day prepping several blocks to take along for those waiting moments or waiting marathons. I usually take blocks from different projects.
The selfie photos I often take are of the block I am working on. Two years ago I very carefully took a few pictures of my progress on a Morrell block. I was so proud of myself. To remember to take the pictures. Too bad I forgot to take the camera with me as I got off that plane in London on my way to visit my sister. I did not miss it for a few days. So I bought a new one that lasted a mere 3 weeks but then I was home and the warranty was in England and so was the old camera and the pictures.
This trip we had a 12 hour layover in the London airport after flying out of Toronto. The rest of the team were adventurous and left the airport and did a whirlwind tour of London including seeing the main sights, riding the tube and having lunch and hauling all their carry-on luggage everywhere they went. I've been to London before so I chose to stay in the airport. I had my rollator with me so I could boogy around pretty good on those nice smooth floors. Last trip I carried that rollator with me up and down those subway stairs on our way to visit the Victoria and Albert Museum.
I had a tasty and pricey fish and chip dinner with mushy peas (now there is another story). I found some amazing hot chocolate that was like melted chocolate not the kind made with milk or water. Eventually I found the handicap lounge. It was large and empty. I found a bench without arms in a corner where I parked all my stuff and stitched for a couple of hours then I slept for a couple of hours laying down. That's important to be able to do on those long flights with connections. Then some more stitching. It was nice and quiet with bathrooms and food near by. I did some reading and journaling. I just realized that it was the last time for 2 weeks that I had any time to myself.
We had a 7 hour layover in Adis Ababa Ethiopia. Now, I had been advised to take a couple of Gravol tablets when we took off so I slept. It was awesome. I missed dinner on the flight to London but was awakened for both meals on the next flight. The rest of the team found lounge chairs to lay down on and sleep for a few hours. I was more interested on finding some bottled water to drink. Fortunately I had 2 one pound coins in my pocket. I know enough to pack snacks when I travel because buying cooked food in some foreign countries especially on trains is not safe. Trust me, I know. I had food poisoning on a 15 hour train ride once in India. I have learned a few things about that also.
I wear a baggy print shirt with pockets. It gives me somewhere to put things like my glasses, a pen, my passport and my MP3 player and earbuds. And if I spill stuff on myself, it is not easily seen.
On my trip to Poland last April, I took my MP3 player but had the wrong cord so could not recharge it. Turns out it was fried so this time not only did I buy a new MP3 player, but I had it all charged up since it easily plugged in to any computer USB port and most large planes have computer access with USB ports. I have since learned that my new cell phone is a glorified music player but I do not know how to load in music and I left it at home to avoid accidental roaming charges. I might learn to use it more eventually.
We were hanging out in the Adis Ababa airport and I took out the Morrell block to continue stitching on the blue leaves. And as most hand appliquers know, you put the bits on in layers. So, after stitching down every other pair of leaves, I carefully pulled put the next pair to pin in place so I could carry on. However, when I reached for them, they were not in sight. I looked on my block. I looked under my block. I was certain I had taken all 4 out of the zip lock bag I had my stitching stuff in. So I looked in the bag then in my hand bag and on the floor and stood up to see if they were sticking to my shirt or my pants. Nope. Nothing. One of our team members saw my confusion and asked what I was looking for. Turns out just as I had taken out the leaves and was turning my block to position it, they fell on the floor and one of the cleaning staff had quietly walked by with her broom in action and swept away my precious blue leaves and deposited them in the nearest trash bin a few feet away. Sigh. I found them and fished them out and stitched them in place.
Happy Slow Sunday Stitching everyone.
Chris
Linking with:
The selfie photos I often take are of the block I am working on. Two years ago I very carefully took a few pictures of my progress on a Morrell block. I was so proud of myself. To remember to take the pictures. Too bad I forgot to take the camera with me as I got off that plane in London on my way to visit my sister. I did not miss it for a few days. So I bought a new one that lasted a mere 3 weeks but then I was home and the warranty was in England and so was the old camera and the pictures.
| Stitching on a Morrell block on a train in London England Dec 2015 |
This trip we had a 12 hour layover in the London airport after flying out of Toronto. The rest of the team were adventurous and left the airport and did a whirlwind tour of London including seeing the main sights, riding the tube and having lunch and hauling all their carry-on luggage everywhere they went. I've been to London before so I chose to stay in the airport. I had my rollator with me so I could boogy around pretty good on those nice smooth floors. Last trip I carried that rollator with me up and down those subway stairs on our way to visit the Victoria and Albert Museum.
I had a tasty and pricey fish and chip dinner with mushy peas (now there is another story). I found some amazing hot chocolate that was like melted chocolate not the kind made with milk or water. Eventually I found the handicap lounge. It was large and empty. I found a bench without arms in a corner where I parked all my stuff and stitched for a couple of hours then I slept for a couple of hours laying down. That's important to be able to do on those long flights with connections. Then some more stitching. It was nice and quiet with bathrooms and food near by. I did some reading and journaling. I just realized that it was the last time for 2 weeks that I had any time to myself.
We had a 7 hour layover in Adis Ababa Ethiopia. Now, I had been advised to take a couple of Gravol tablets when we took off so I slept. It was awesome. I missed dinner on the flight to London but was awakened for both meals on the next flight. The rest of the team found lounge chairs to lay down on and sleep for a few hours. I was more interested on finding some bottled water to drink. Fortunately I had 2 one pound coins in my pocket. I know enough to pack snacks when I travel because buying cooked food in some foreign countries especially on trains is not safe. Trust me, I know. I had food poisoning on a 15 hour train ride once in India. I have learned a few things about that also.
| Stitching on a BTCT block on a train in India Oct 2016 |
I wear a baggy print shirt with pockets. It gives me somewhere to put things like my glasses, a pen, my passport and my MP3 player and earbuds. And if I spill stuff on myself, it is not easily seen.
On my trip to Poland last April, I took my MP3 player but had the wrong cord so could not recharge it. Turns out it was fried so this time not only did I buy a new MP3 player, but I had it all charged up since it easily plugged in to any computer USB port and most large planes have computer access with USB ports. I have since learned that my new cell phone is a glorified music player but I do not know how to load in music and I left it at home to avoid accidental roaming charges. I might learn to use it more eventually.
| Stitching on a Morrell block in an airport in Ethiopia Aug 2017 |
We were hanging out in the Adis Ababa airport and I took out the Morrell block to continue stitching on the blue leaves. And as most hand appliquers know, you put the bits on in layers. So, after stitching down every other pair of leaves, I carefully pulled put the next pair to pin in place so I could carry on. However, when I reached for them, they were not in sight. I looked on my block. I looked under my block. I was certain I had taken all 4 out of the zip lock bag I had my stitching stuff in. So I looked in the bag then in my hand bag and on the floor and stood up to see if they were sticking to my shirt or my pants. Nope. Nothing. One of our team members saw my confusion and asked what I was looking for. Turns out just as I had taken out the leaves and was turning my block to position it, they fell on the floor and one of the cleaning staff had quietly walked by with her broom in action and swept away my precious blue leaves and deposited them in the nearest trash bin a few feet away. Sigh. I found them and fished them out and stitched them in place.
Happy Slow Sunday Stitching everyone.
Chris
Linking with:
Every stitch is one more toward being completed. You make good use of your traveling time.
ReplyDeleteGood advise on the traveling and stitching. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteYou sound like a well seasoned traveller and very well organised!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! If I ever travel anywhere, I want to go with you. You already know all the hazards! I think, even never having been in London, I would have stayed in the airport, just so I didn't have to haul my bag around everywhere with me! I'm a light packer because I hate carrying things around! I really enjoyed reading your adventures, even the missing leaves. Glad you were able to get them out again.
ReplyDeleteI agree Chris every 15 mins spent waiting flies by when you have some sewing in your hands. waiting at airports is all ways fun as you get so many pieces stitched down LOl Cheers Glenda
ReplyDeleteHi Chris,
ReplyDeleteGood save on the blue leaves! What are the odds that she would walk by and sweep just when you dropped them?!! You have had some great places to stitch in over the last few years. I usually bring some handwork with me as well but my issue always seems to be a scissors. I thought they would not allow them through TSA. Happy stitching. ~smile~ Roseanne
I did a post about scissors a couple of years ago when I had a pair go through security in Toronto and Hong Kong but were taken at Adelaide.
DeleteTo my defense, I had 3 more pair in my checked bag and had intended to check those. I usually thread a lot of needles. I ran out of those on a rain in India last fall. I found a tiny pair with 3/4 inch blade that go unnoticed.
I love taking handwork along to work on whenever I can. Bus trips are great times for handwork!
ReplyDeleteMy goodness you have been to some interesting places and it is also interesting to hear about the stitching side of travelling. You make great use of your time and thanks for sharing your adventures.
ReplyDelete