Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2020

Slow Stitching and Fast Prepping

I took today to spend in my quilt room. Actually, this is also my office but my focus was on quilting. Kat at Next Step Designs a Canadian quilt shop in Calgary, is revamping the 150 Canadian Women BOW and I have decided to join in. 

This was a year-long quilt-a-long back in 2017 to commemorate Canada's 150 Birthday. I started it about halfway through but did not get too far. It turns out that she was using more than just 2 colours. I had quickly cut out lots of bits using my GO cutter but ran out of steam. 

So, today I cut a lot more bits from several different Canada themed fabrics and started to layout a whole bunch of blocks. I prepped about 20 blocks to stitch up another day. 



I have been plugging away at this Ella applique block. It is a bit fiddly the way I am doing it. I started with back-basting then changed it twice before doing a variety of techniques that make it fiddly. The petals overlap and I was challenged to find thread the right colour then find it again when I tidied up and could not find it. Twice. 

And, I am having trouble threading a needle these days. Okay. The thread I am using for that coral colour is quilting thread. But it matches. Just does not thread so nicely into my #10 milliners's needles. Good thing I got some more Bohin needles. They are my favourite. I will finish this up tomorrow while watching schurch online. 




I know I am supposed to be writing, but writing up a blog post IS writing too. 

Blessings,

Chris

linking with: slow-sunday-stitching  desgn-wall-monday-  boms-away

12 comments:

  1. Technically it is writing.... any chance you could get the kids to thread a bunch of needles for you next time they are there.... or your daughter? Or are you like me and the thread pops out while you are stitching? Pretty applique. I think I need to prep an EMD block tomorrow and get back on that one with a block here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look of your stitching, but needles and my fingers don't bond too well, but give me a machine and I am happy. We had online church for a few months, but are back now, although with a few restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh.....threading needles is sometimes impossible. The fabrics in your Ella block are pretty. How lovely to be stitching whilst watching church.....perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that if I put on 2.0 reading glasses (I have these for when I wear contacts) I can thread any needle just because it looks larger. It has been a wonderful discovery. I love appliqued swirled of fabric. It may be fiddly, but it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ach, I have the same issue with threading...I blame my reading glasses. Nuisance. That appliqued block is going to be such a beauty...well worth the pain. Great work on the prepping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the red and white blocks! Interesting Ella block!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ella block has lovely colors. I need to prep my blocks for this month. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the ELLA applique...pretty fabric.
    EnJoY your stitching...xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Threading needles was so much easier back when I could see better. Aged eyes certainly affect sewing. I too have had to use thicker threads to match applique'. They just don't fit in the applique' needles at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Ella block is gorgeous. Isn't that the way of it, though -- figuring out which method out of many possibilities is the best for a particular project or block often eats up more time than the stitching itself! About the thread -- I got an email newsletter from Karen Kay Buckley about a big sale she's doing on the 60 weight Mettler cotton thread that she uses for hand appliqué. She's retiring from teaching and says that she stocked this thread because she sold so much of it at workshops, but it's not a hot seller on the web site so she's marked it way down to get rid of what's left. Don't know what shipping might be to Canada, but it might be a good chance to stock up on appliqué thread colors that you don't have in the right weight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I love that petal block! And yes - I hear you on the needle woes. I was struggling last night to thread my upholstery strings into my favorite needle for doing the back-basting. I think I somehow squished its eye, which was already on the fiddly side, but is now nearly impossible. I don't know exactly "what" needle it is, either, so I can't just order a new one. . . heh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wait, P.S. - your Canada quilt is going to be so neat!

    ReplyDelete