It looks like January was all about To-Do Tuesdays. I did accomplish many things on my various lists. Remember, I love to write lists. Now to learn to love to check off items from the list when I complete them. February takes me in a completely new direction. I have a manuscript to complete. I have used every excuse imaginable to avoid getting it done. But I realize that actually doing the writing is easier than dealing with all the avoidance.
My quilting goals often are monumental. Go big or go home. But Baby steps seem to get many further along the road to successful completion. Not me. I do feast or famine. All or nothing. Can an old dog really learn new tricks? Well, this old dog has had to learn lots of new tricks lately. After all, my husband retired a couple of months ago and I am adapting to having him here all the time. He is still trying to figure out what his life will look like now that he no longer milks cows and he cannot be out on his tractor doing fieldwork in mid-winter.
For OMG monthly goals, I often write down one or many several specific goals and promptly work on anything else but what my goal is. This month may not be any different, but I do like to set goals. This has to be specific, right? Nearly a year ago I bought a new Babylock Jazz II sewing machine with a 12-inch throat space for the specific purpose of doing machine quilting. I have not actually done ANY sewing on it. Yet. My OMG goal for this month will be to get started on using this machine and getting some quilting started. Baby steps. I have several smaller quilts nearly ready for this. Two of them are printed panels I bought for this very thing.
I plan to quilt along with Angela Walters on her Help How do I Quilt It? Free Motion Quilt-a-Long. I bought the panel when it was released a long time ago. I have a whole box of exciting threads I won here on the OMG draw in May from Aurifil Threads. They sent me no less than 12 three packs of the Endangered Species collection.
I also found an amazing printed panel
Beautiful set of quilts! Sometimes the hardest part of getting started on a new machine is getting the courage to turn it on. Don't be me - it took me 7 years to get comfortable with my Sweet 17. Now I'm happily quilting on it! Can also relate to having a husband underfoot as both of us are largely working from home at the moment. Hope you have a great February.
ReplyDeleteHmmmm .... maybe you need to join no-blog Mary and myself for each month challenge. We bind a quilt and you tick off one item from your list that month. Join us and say you did it!
ReplyDeleteThese are all such beautiful quilts! I too am a list-maker, and also get pretty aggressive with my goals because yes, why not?? If it's not on there, how is it supposed to get done?? But sometimes the end of the day comes and only half is done? Wait, what? How did I not get it all done??? Of course, I also like to list lots of steps so I can feel accomplished at checking things off. Somehow, I feel you get me on all of this! Good luck and may there be many check marks throughout February!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness!! What a fabulous 1979 UFO! Those are beautiful. Plug that new machine in, and let Angela's program get you going on it. :)
ReplyDeleteHi Chris, good luck with your February OMG goal. I hope that you do start your Free Motion Quilting - those panels sound like a great way to practice. Then you can come show them off on Free Motion Mavericks with Muv and I. Hope to see you!
ReplyDeleteSo many lovely quilts and panels begging to be finished so you go girl! Good luck....
ReplyDeleteNice thoughts about goals and good to read more about you. Good luck on anything you are tempted to play with.
ReplyDeleteGreat goals! Good luck! Progress is progress!
ReplyDeleteSOunds like a plan to get going on that machine for quilting practice. And once upon a time I did that too, and using panels. Look forward to seeing our progress
ReplyDeleteG'day Chris!
ReplyDeleteGood Luck with getting things done now that your DH has Retired!
Mine hung up his Tie for good just before Covid and well..... I never thought I'd say it but I miss my "Alone Days" - I am not getting anything done. :)
Cheers Wendy (Melb. Aust.)
You do have plenty to keep busy, like most quilters. Hope you make great progress on your projects.
ReplyDeletewhat wonderful projects to learn to quilt on! Relax and have fun as you explore this aspect of quilting!
ReplyDeleteSo many wonderful goals/projects! Best wishes with them all!
ReplyDeleteIs a good list - but! I had to laugh at - your write them down then promptly work on something else - I can totally relate! Have fun with these
ReplyDeleteand get that manuscript done!!! ( thats me trying to be bossy ;-) )
Panels sound great to start with, enjoy.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness -- I can definitely relate to setting specific monthly sewing goals and then doing everything else EXCEPT whatever my goal was!! That panel looks great for practicing SID around appliqué but it doesn't have the dimensionality of real applique. After you do the panel, I suggest putting fusible web on the back of a FQ and cutting out a bunch of random typical applique shapes like hearts, circles, leaves etc and then fusing them onto background fabric -- no need to actually stitch the applique to the background. That will help you know if your presser foot or anything else that was working for you on the flat panel practice piece needs to be changed to work with the unlevel surface of real applique.
ReplyDeleteFantastic idea to get you started machine quilting. Printed panels are a great place to start. Getting good at machine quilting took me some time, and I didn't want to mess up all my favorite pieced or applique' quilts.
ReplyDeleteYou will do great!