Pages

Friday, February 9, 2024

150 Canadian Women Revisited

The 150 Canadian Women was a weekly QAL from Kat Tucker to commemorate Canada's 150th birthday back in 2017. Three six inch block patterns were release weekly for a free downlaod. Each block has a story of a woman that made a significant impact on Canada as we know it in the 21st century. Stories  of women from over 300 years. Northcott released a collection of fabrics in red and white and black and even some tourquoise which I did not purchase. It just seemed wrong. Instead, I pulled a different collection from 2010 with our National Anthem and maple leaves. Surprizingly, I had most of the fabrics, patterns and already made blocks in a project bin just begging to be remembered.

And then I found one more labled box on the bookshelf with other neatly labled project stuff. I even had a couple of blocks with partly sewn units and the fabric needed to complete them. I must have had a lot of time to do all that sorting and organizing. Wonder why I stopped? The last time I worked on it was 3 years ago. Oh yes. Covid lockdown with all my family living here at the same time. Competing for table space with jigsaw puzzles.

So, I took time to sort through all the patterns only to discover that I had them all in order. The completed block patterns had been separated out. I had cut lots and lots of pieces with my GO Baby cutter to sort of speed things up. And today, since I had cleared off tables and and iron boards and machines, I sorted out the precuts into size piles. I have 4 backgrounds and 4 colours. There are more fabrics in the bin, but I am starting here. 


This is my project for February for OMG, RSC and the Chookshed Challenge. I wonder how many blocks I can make without having to cut any more pieces?  

blessings,

Chris

4 comments:

  1. If you just sew the pieces you have already cut, you will have a significant pile of blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you find out how many blocks you can complete without cutting. It sounds like the organization part took some time. Picking up old projects lends itself to that.
    I like the history behind this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. an ambitious and impressive project....so far so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris, I was so tempted to start that project when it was on the go. I am so happy to see you revive yours. You have a wonderful start there. This will feel so good to move it along. Happy Stitching from me!

    ReplyDelete