Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2021

Ella Maria Deacon Quilt Blocks

 

This has been an amazing week of hand stitching, movie watching, and snow. We do snow here in Feb in our part of Canada. It is, after all, winter. The calendar may suggest that Spring begins on March 20th, but we had snow on May 9th last year. Yup. Mother's Day weekend. I had the snow tires taken off my car that morning.
I stitched every day for at least 15 minutes and some days 3-4 hours. So, it is not surprising that I completed 5 blocks this week. Most of these I had prepped last summer and fall. It is easy enough to do the prep work. I like doing the prep work. Most had been done on zoom meetings with amazing quilters from around the world as well as some of my family and friends here. I tried doing some machine work one Sat morning but messed up both blocks I was working on so limit myself to doing handwork that requires not much thinking. I cannot talk and stitch at the same time.

This block caused me no end of grief.  
There are several curly-cues in the corners of the original, but I skipped them this time.
 
And I tried, I really tried to put a fussy cut center into the middle, but just could not. 
I did not l like the way it looked. Then considered adding a white circle on top but decided to do it in reverse applique. 


The reason being, I had cut the end of that one petal too short and did not have enough to turn it under. 
Okay. I did that with 2 petals. 

So, I did some unstitching, adjusted them, and appliqued them down again. 
After that, I turned under the ends and did some reverse applique. I usually enjoy reverse applique, but that was a lot of seams to turn under and my circle is not round. At this point, I am calling it done. If I still am not happy about it, after I complete the rest of the blocks, I will revisit it. 
I still have to get the T4 summaries all made up for our 14 farm employees. I have never done this before and I spent a good 2 hours on Fri trying to find the forms to fill out only to discover it already in my downloads. Then I spent the next 2 hours trying to make sense of the monthly Payroll Summaries and printed them all off. That was a lot of paper. I will do all the input by hand first, then into the computer. But, for the life of me, I have no idea, yet, how or where to submit them, other than printing off copies and stapling them to each of the employees' payslips. 

This will be my Slow Sunday Stitching block for today.  

Blessings

Chris

Linking with:

slow-sunday-stitching

kate-life-in-pieces.

quiltingismorefunthanhousework.

design-wall-monday- boms-away

monday-making  tishnwonderland.  needleandthreadnetwork. midweek-makers wednesday-wait-loss

myquiltinfatuation  off-wall-friday.  wendysquiltsandmore. alyciaquilts.blogspot.

21 comments:

  1. Your applique blocks are lovely. I would have just appliqued a circle onto the center of the problem block and not dealt with turning those seams under. Farms in the US have to have our income taxes filed by March 1. I am so glad to be finished with that bookwork, I'd rather be sewing! Hope you can find stitching time this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blocks and I’m pleased you could fix the wonky one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are beautiful! I can’t think of any better way to spend snow days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the applique looks great - I have found that if you make the circle bigger than it says it should be you can applique the circle on top over the petals and it looks just fine -

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful applique! I know what you mean about petals in circles, they can definitely wiggle out, but it still looks great. Good luck with the paperwork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most people dislike the prep work the most, so it's great that you enjoy it!
    Well done on very complex blocks! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    Beautiful blocks. I enjoy the prep work too, but hate putting the filmsy together. So I've always got a filmsy to put together. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Ella Maria Deacon blocks are gorgeous. Beautiful fabrics you have chosen. Blue and brown always play nicely together, don't they. It seems your part of the world does snow very well indeed! I hope you sort all the paperwork. It sounds like a real pain, but I suppose it has to be done. I suppose you would much rather be stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely blocks Chris. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your projects are beautiful. I am getting seriously tempted to prep an applique project so I can work on it on Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've got some great looking blocks from all your stitching time this week. Hopefully you didn't get the really low temps with the snow this last week. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those blocks look wonderful. You see all the little issues as you stitch but the world only sees the wonderfulness of the block as a whole. Snow sometimes has a purpose... as long as we don't need to get out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For a Brat-block, that sure turned out so pretty. :) I like the reverse applique for the center! This is going to be one very cool quilt. Hope you found out what to do with those T4s - I despise form work. I need to start our tax "stuff" soon. >bleh<

    ReplyDelete
  14. These hand stitched blocks are gorgeous! I am the opposite of you in that, in pre-COVID days, I used to get the most progress done on my hand stitched applique at in-person guild and bee meetings because handwork is so portable and easy to do with your attention divided between conversations. Now that everything is virtual Zoom from home, though, I haven’t touched my applique UFO in months because I can work on so many other things just as easily from my studio. I know you’ve probably had enough of the white fluffy stuff up North, but I’m envious of your snow in the Carolinas where winter means brown, dormant grass, cold rain, and muddy dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the block is fine. No one will notice the imperfection! Sorry you've had so much frustration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely blocks, wonky blocks are all part and parcel in patchwork as far as I am concerned and i have had a few coverups in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Quite charming application blocks. For the curly cues I would have opted for the white circle, although on the other hand I am also very picky. All in all, a great job.
    Kind regards Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  18. That block does look like it could cause a lot of grief. Kudos to you to continue to work on it get it where you wanted it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such lovely blocks! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I favor the one that you had all the trouble with.

    ReplyDelete