Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2013

CCCQ Block #13

Progress on the Polish lessons and block 13 is coming along nicely. I have learned how to say hello, introduce myself, count to 20, ask directions to the bathroom and order cake at the confectionery. All very important things to know.                                           
 

This is a close up of the stitching. I basted the large red fabric onto the background then drew the design on. I am cutting away between the lines one leaf at a time and making a small cut into the seam allowance on the inside curves to help it turn under more smoothly. As you can see, the distance between some of the lines is about 1/8 of an inch, so needle turning is my best choice here.

I am using a few 3/4 inch applique pins to hold each leaf in place until I stitch past each one then move it on to the next one. I try not to have too many pins in the fabric so I do not prick myself as I move my hands. I am rolling up the extra fabric from the back to the front to avoid catching it with the needle as I stitch. I am particularly aware of this today as I had to un-sew a bit and redo it.

 

The background fabric is one that looks aged and stained. I hunted a long time to find just the right thing for a reproduction quilt project and  when I did find it 3 years ago in a small shop outside of Lancaster Pennsylvania, I bought the whole 15 yard bolt for $2.50 per yard.

Blessings,
Chris

7 comments:

  1. Hello Chris, how exciting to see your baby blog and the start of CCCQ #13. I love your fabric. I've put a link to your blog on my current post.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I have been enthralled with this CCCQ project since I discovered it a few months ago. It was made exactly 100 years before I was born so that is part of the charm.

      Delete
  2. Hi Chris and welcome to blogland! I've found your blog through Sharon's, I'm also making the CCCQ. I love your choice of the scarlet print fabric for block #13 and it knocks me out how you buy fabric by the bolt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fancy that, I found your blog through Sharon's also. I am so drooling over your completed Morell quilt.
      I have so often bought fabric for projects and not always had enough to complete them. Also, I am somewhat colour challenged . . . or rather indecisive . . . so I end up collecting fat quarter bundles and fabrics on sale . . . always with an impromptu project in mind.

      Delete
  3. Hi Chris, welcome to the land of BLOG!! WOW your #13 block looks amazing and i'm really intrigued with the way you're cutting it out & stitching it in place, a little at a time. I've also just made a start on CCCQ..the first three blocks are done and now i'm working on #4 & #5 ... it's so much fun!!
    Oh I do love your DJ.. mine's a very slow WIP :))) cheers... Marian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite new at cut away applique, but figured that the fine lines between the leaves were too narrow to do it the way I usually do and that is either freezer paper glued under or more recently, needle turned over freezer paper ironed to the back. This way, I do not have to stitch through all that glue. I have also discovered that if I am a teeny bit crooked cutting between the lines, then the leaves vary in size on opposite sides of the block.

      Delete
    2. "the leaves vary in size..."
      My leaves are all different shapes and sizes! Those channels between the leaves are very narrow, I don't know how the original makers managed.

      Delete