(This is another except from the story I wrote about my profoundly handicapped daughter Denine who was born in 1973 and died in 1979. Writing her story brought closure and incredible healing to my heart. I have been encouraged to publish it and am presently editing it.)
In January 1975 I was pregnant with my second child. My husband Ken got a dreadful case of tonsillitis and was home sick for
a couple of days. As he waited in the
doctor's office, I carried Denine in
a bitterly cold wind to a nearby store to buy a chocolate bar. I never thought
how cold it was for her.
The
next day she started to run a fever. As
she got hotter, I bundled her up cozy and warm in a baby quilt and cuddled
her. I made a doctor's appointment for
the afternoon. One thing about our
family doctor was that we always had confidence in him that they would see us
today when we were sick not next week when they could work us in. As
the hour approached I took Denine's temperature and it was 105.5 F. I called
his office and asked if he would come to the house to see her. He would not. He said to bundle
her up lightly and bring her in right away. I was scared.
She
had picked up the flu and was very sick. She was admitted to the hospital in
Brantford right away. We went through the usual routine of charts and forms. This
time she had her love seat and soother. I took her a carton of yogurt and
wheat germ which she liked to eat. They
lost her soother. That same day I picked
up some baby pictures I'd had taken a couple of weeks earlier. She had progressed in her therapy to the point of being
able to sit alone if we positioned her just so and gave her something to get
her attention. When distracted, she fell
over. She could sit for 3‑4 minutes.
| Denine age 18 months |
I
went home from the hospital several hours later to my sick husband and told him
all that had happened. He said,
"Maybe she'll even die."
"No! She can't die! She's my baby! How dare he say such a thing! Doesn't he care about her at all?"
He was being realistic.
"No! She can't die! She's my baby! How dare he say such a thing! Doesn't he care about her at all?"
He was being realistic.
At
bedtime, I went into her empty room. I looked at her crib and her toys and
clothes. "No she can’t die! God, please don’t take her from me. I
couldn't bear to lose her." I did not release the pent up tears. Two
days later, she came home, perfectly healthy but a bit weaker.
Blessings,
Chris
My heart clutched with every fever episode you mentioned. I am so sorry for your loss. And although she is in Heaven, I know you will grieve until you hold her again. I am with you.
ReplyDelete