Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2015

And Just Like That

 all 33 CCCQ blocks are completed

It took 2 years. I signed on at the start of year 2 of a 3 year BOM. The blocks were released 1 per month and I tried to keep pace as well as catch up the first 12 blocks. I tried several different approaches to the applique and eventually settled in with tracing the design onto the top of the fabric with a frxion pen and needle turning the edges under. There was a lot to learn and skills to perfect with all the inny and outy curves. I found myself doing at least 12 stitches to the inch in most areas and more in those tight inny curves. Those stitches will last a lifetime. I know. I made some mistakes and tried to unstitch and they did not want to let go easily.

CCCQ Block # 33

I did not realize that I had not centered the design onto the background. Oops. I guess this will just add to the whimsical charm of this reproduction quilt. The journey is not over yet as I still have to decide how I am going to quilt it. The original quilting was outlining each block design and a quarter inch in from the seam on each block.  The quilt will finish at 72 inches square.
Because I have a specific plan and timeline, I want to machine quilt it. The original did not have any borders. I might add a simple narrow one to make it easier to handle without stretching out the edges.

Blessings,
Chris

16 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks like it was very challenging! Hats off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I do like an outside border on projects to make it easier to deal with when quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will make the border 6 inches then trim if I have to

      Delete
  3. Congratulation on finishing all the blocks! Can't wait to see them sewn together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often find that deciding how to Quilt a piece is challenging. Good luck, I look forward to seeing the result.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous block - well done! It sounds like a big quilt to be handling. Looking forward to seeing it when you've quilted it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sewing it together today. It will fish 72x72 plus the borders.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations. I'm sure it was hard joining so late in the game. Your block looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't hard exactly. I had to jump right in and pace myself with getting the first year blocks caught up.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful block. Centered or not, I think it's fabulous. Congrats on your persistence in making the blocks even though you started late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Is seems that slow and steady wins the race.

      Delete