This is the final block for CCCQ. I have been working on it for several days now. It is probably the most challenging of the entire 33 blocks in the quilt and Sharon saved it for last. I suppose if it had been first, I may not have made it this far. There are 8 of those whirly gig things on the block. I am doing needle turned hand applique and this is the ultimate in reverse applique and perseverance. I had traced the design onto the fabric with a frixion pen then stitched the zig zaggy outside first, then the center circle. So far so good. Then I did the reverse appliqued jelly beans around the center circle. Okay. Got that done.
 |
| CCCQ block #12 |
But how do I approach the next step? I cut out a bit of the center of each quadrant, clipped the curved seam and into the tight corners. Then, as I began stitching, I realized that it was a mistake to cut into all 4 sides. The middle strips moved around and I had quite a time of it trying to keep them in place.
So, next time I cut out a tiny triangle in 1 section at a time. Crossed under the center and did the opposite one. This worked much better. I have 4 1/2 done and only 3 1/2 to go.
Will I miss this thing when I am done? Not sure. I am using some of the same fabrics for the Ben Biggs quilt. Block # 21 was released on Sept 1 and, since I was so far behind, I just printed it of, traced and cut out the fuseable wash away shapes, ironed them onto the back of the fabrics, glued under the seam allowances and then machine appliqued them into place, all in about an hour.
I have also been working on Beyond the Cherry Trees in reds and greens, but different ones. And, my GORF quilt is in Civil War reds and greens. So, no I will not have time to miss working with reds and greens for a while. But I am not quite done with CCCQ yet.
Blessings,
Chris
Wow, that is some block. Sounds like you've got an assortment of red and green quilts. The quilt is going to be beautiful. Have fun with your friends at your retreat. How many more retreat days are left?
ReplyDeletethe retreat ran for 3 days and 2 nights. I will post pictures soon.
DeleteThank you for the close up look at your applique process. I think your work is beautiful and what lovely projects you have to show for it.
ReplyDeletethank you. I have come to appreciate my work even more as blog readers encourage me with their comments.
DeleteSo glad you explained how to do that block. It is very complicated. I appreciate that you share your process. All of the projects are great. Thanks for sharing and linking to WIPs Be Gone. The NET is so large, I can't get to all the blogs I'd like to, so appreciate every time someone links so I can be sure and not miss what's happening on those blogs. Blessings, Chris.
ReplyDeleteIt really does look like a challenging block... and YOU did it! Way to go!
ReplyDelete