Pages

Friday, January 15, 2016

New Little Boy Grand Baby

I have been visiting my daughter in New Brunswick for a week now. Baby David was born on Monday weighing in at a mere 8lb 15oz with dark hair and dimples. We are getting into a new routine here and the 19 month old Jonathan is still trying to figure out this big brother thing. I have had access to incredible internet access here and the unheard of less than 10 seconds to upload photos. So why is it taking me up to an hour at home???? Might be time to make some changes.


In the meantime, I have been working on BTCT block # 12. I started the thing more than a year ago when visiting my sister in England. I did the easy part by stitching on the oak leaves using my favourite needle turn hand applique. but it sat for more than a year in the box as I worked on easier blocks.


When I was at the Shipshewana retreat in November, I asked Brenda Papadakis for help with the back basting technique. I had done a workshop years ago, but it just was not working for me. I showed her what I was doing and she suggested using a larger (size 8) needle to baste with and then she said she traces around the basting stitches on the top of the pieces before starting to needle turn and stitch. So . . . I traced the designs onto the back of the background. I used a common pencil.


Then I traced around the shape. This is similar to what I had been doing with my needle turn technique.


The problem was what to do with those basting threads. Before I traced the design, I could not see just where to turn it under. Now I have a chalk pencil line. And I went around and clipped the basting threads half way up those fingers on each side. This way, I am able to remove a few of those basting stitches easily as I move forward. It wasn't working for me unpicking as I went.


Most of my stitches landed in the pencil line in the back. This is good.


Now layering is easier.


Well, most of the time. Not sure if I will redo this one. The stitches landed on the pencil lines.


I will wait until I have the rest of the leaves and flowers on and see how it all looks together. There will be a round bias ring to complete the wreath.


Got more circles stitched down on block # 16. There are 28-30 grapes in each cluster so a few more to add yet.


And I completed this one in Poland last month but had camera and internet issues. There will be some embroidered stems connecting those cherries.


Did I  mention I bought another new camera? One of the little girl grand children broke the new one I bought in England and so I bought a nice Canon rechargeable. No more batteries, at least for now. And, it has a beautiful flash thingy on it that will make taking pictures of my blocks more efficient.
Now I can take lots more pictures of my little boy grand children.



I am so Blessed,
Gramma Kiss

18 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new grand baby! These two are both cuties. Thanks for the little lesson on hand appliqué. I go back and forth on what method I like but adding a chalk line on the basting version (along with the pencil line on the back side) sure seems smart! Your work shows it too. Thanks for the tip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I get to love on both little boys.
      I have tried several different approaches to applique and I find that there is a place for each of them, sometimes in the same block.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the new family member. I love backbasting. Yes a larger needle really helps and I also like to baste and wait till the next day to stitch. The accuracy is great and if you have a curved pieced the fabric doesn't ripple or stretch cause it is all stitched in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do you wait until the next day to stitch? I will agree about the curved pieces not stretching. That now makes a lot of sense.

      Delete
  3. You've got some sweet little grandsons there. Very nice you get to be able to spend time with them and how wonderful, you were actually there when the baby was born!

    Glad you got the back basting technique down. I wouldn't redo that block. Once it is finished and you have all the blocks together, that isn't going to show up. Blessings, Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got here 3 days before he was born. I stayed home to look after big brother. I got the day off today as they all went to town after church. Their daddy is the local pastor.

      Delete
  4. I love the appliqué you’re doing. Beautiful blocks, and kudos to you for doing all those little circles! Congrats on the new grand baby. Being a gramma is the best thing ever! We were given a new grand daughter 10 days ago. Grand babies make the most delicious armfuls ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Grand babies make the most delicious armfuls ever!"
      That about sums it up. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the new grandchild! I love that picture. Your blocks are beautiful. I really like the flowers you have been working on. The grapes and cherries look quite time consuming, but very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really had nothing to do with the grand child's existence but I am delighted to be here visiting my daughter as she and her family adjust to this new addition to their small family. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on birth of new grand baby! Nice appliqué by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. He is getting to be a little charmer. I get to hold him for h ours while Mom does other things, like shower, eat and nap.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful grandchildren and beautiful applique! So nice that you have been able to refine the back basting technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you and thank you. Not so sure I am refining as much as learning to be comfortable with it. I am having thoughts about when I get home to trace up a lot of blocks in preparation for the next bunch of blocks I will be doing.

      Delete
  8. Wow... So much work! 2 young ones & the quilt!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the new addition to your family.
    Your applique is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so blessed. Big brother looks so thrilled to be holding baby brother. I've finally settled on using the starch and freezer paper method to do my applique. Like you I was having a very difficult time seeing where to stitch with the back basting method. Lyn at What a Hoot uses perle cotton to do the back basting and says the larger holes makes it easy for her to know where to stitch. I may give that a try. Thanks for linking to WIPs Be Gone. Enjoy your grandbabies, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a detailed and time consuming project, Chris. It, like your little boys, is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your techniques.

    ReplyDelete