Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Victoria and Albert Museum Part 2

It has taken me the entire day to upload these photos today. I did it on my desktop and hovered here all day waiting up to half an hour for some. In the meantime, I hemmed curtains for my granddaughter's bedroom. Well, I started but ended up cutting the second panel 5 inches shorter than the first. Oops. With the parts I cut off, I will get her to help make a pair of pillowcases. I also pre-washed and pressed the rest of the many blues and beiges and greens of the mountain of fat quarters and some of the pieces I bought in Shipshewana. I also started prepping some blocks for my trip next week. I am going to give back-basting another try now that I got some tips from Brenda.

So now, without further ado, here are more pictures from our brief visit to the Victoria and Albert Museum in London England last month. It is no secret that I love architecture. And this place did not disappoint. The building had 4 floors and then we found the basement level. We did not get around to all the exhibits and none of the ones you pay to see. We only had 4 hours.

From the 4th floor gallery, we viewed some spectacular Greek stuff. This was my niece's favourite part.















More floor tiles
 





 I really enjoyed the glass artifacts. There were many quilty specimens.



 Drawers and drawers filled with bits and pieces.






Not sure what these were supposed to have been.






These looked like tiles.



Now we get to the one and only quilt I saw. It was a whole cloth and this is about 1/20th of it.
 I could not get the whole thing in one frame.


Looks like a lot of stuffed work. Amazing.



And the story of the quilt:
 
"About 1360-1400. Faded by time, this huge bed covering or hanging depicts Tristan, one of the heroes of medieval romance literature. Fourteen episodes from his adventures, captioned in Italian, relate to the oppression of Cornwall by King Languis of Ireland. They are now slightly jumbled by later restoration. King Mark of Cornwall sits enthroned and crowned. His nephew Tristan, is recognisable by his shield emblazoned with three horns."



It was not so easy taking pictures through the glass.
New Year's Blessings,
Chris

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place. I'm sure it is on the list to visit again the next time you travel to England. Blessings, Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plan next time is to check into a hotel near the airport and my sister will come visit me.

      Delete