Did I mention that I am home for a bit? I lied. I have been away for a few days, went away last weekend and then again next week end and again the following weekend for team training.
Team training you ask? Yes. Team training. What for?
Well, I am going to Africa this summer. Yup. Africa . . . Rwanda specifically.
I have already decided which BTCT block I will be prepping to take along. It's no secret that I have been on many short term mission trips and specifically to India where I love to go to encourage women. I was invited to join this team going from two different churches. There will be ten of us. I will not be the oldest on the team.
Did you know that there are 100 babies born each day in this part of Rwanda? It is a small land locked country in central East Africa. There was a dreadful genocide that happened there in 1994, the same year my daughter turned 16 on a summer mission trip to Ghana. That was also in Africa.
The purpose of this trip will be to build relationships. We will be modelling how to do a Vacation Bible School program. This should be interesting. I get terrified by other peoples little kids. Not my own. I love spending time with my little girl and little boy grandchildren. After all, I have known each of them since they were still wet at birth.
In a small country where nearly a million people killed each other, many children were left without parents to raise them and give them an example of how to do things. These children have grown up and are having children of their own. My specific role will be to model the unique perspective of a loving grandparent.
We will be going on a one day safari to one of the wildlife preserves. I plan to stay in the vehicle for that day. Well, so will everyone else. Those are the rules. I have been doing research about Rwanda and Africa in general. I love how I can see over the edge of Victoria Falls (well maybe not love) from Google Earth on my big screen desktop computer. But that is not in Rwanda. Nor is the source of the Nile River. And Lake Victoria is almost twice the size of Rwanda. Really.
The count down is on. We leave in 70 days.
Blessings,
Chris
Team training you ask? Yes. Team training. What for?
Well, I am going to Africa this summer. Yup. Africa . . . Rwanda specifically.
I have already decided which BTCT block I will be prepping to take along. It's no secret that I have been on many short term mission trips and specifically to India where I love to go to encourage women. I was invited to join this team going from two different churches. There will be ten of us. I will not be the oldest on the team.
Did you know that there are 100 babies born each day in this part of Rwanda? It is a small land locked country in central East Africa. There was a dreadful genocide that happened there in 1994, the same year my daughter turned 16 on a summer mission trip to Ghana. That was also in Africa.
The purpose of this trip will be to build relationships. We will be modelling how to do a Vacation Bible School program. This should be interesting. I get terrified by other peoples little kids. Not my own. I love spending time with my little girl and little boy grandchildren. After all, I have known each of them since they were still wet at birth.
In a small country where nearly a million people killed each other, many children were left without parents to raise them and give them an example of how to do things. These children have grown up and are having children of their own. My specific role will be to model the unique perspective of a loving grandparent.
We will be going on a one day safari to one of the wildlife preserves. I plan to stay in the vehicle for that day. Well, so will everyone else. Those are the rules. I have been doing research about Rwanda and Africa in general. I love how I can see over the edge of Victoria Falls (well maybe not love) from Google Earth on my big screen desktop computer. But that is not in Rwanda. Nor is the source of the Nile River. And Lake Victoria is almost twice the size of Rwanda. Really.
The count down is on. We leave in 70 days.
Blessings,
Chris
Best wishes for a safe and productive journey, Chris! I bet you are getting excited, too. :D
ReplyDeleteI wish you all the best for your trip...........
ReplyDeleteHow exciting and your purpose sounds like a good one. I'm sure there will be many challenges but that is life. Blessings and safe travels.
ReplyDeleteYou will be blessed for caring and giving of your time and talents. Enjoy your Mission trip and stay safe.
ReplyDelete