Pages

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Serendipity: Another 17 ufos in 2017

Now that I am home for bit, I am trying to get to the local pool to do some waterfit exercises.  I can do all the jumping, jogging and giggling I want with salt water up to my armpits. I usually choose a spot near the wall closest to the exit. I leave a bit early to get under one of the showers before the crowd exits. There are 3 showers and usually about 40 women. What can I say . . . I don't like crowds and with my back, I have trouble standing in line waiting my turn.  And 30 minutes usually leaves me feeling like jelly.





Anyway, as I started to say, I stand near the wall closest to the instructor, the crowd behind me, I have a perfect view of the tiling surrounding the pool. It is 2 shades of brown and cream coloured, one inch tiles set totally random. It gives me ideas. The tiles in the shower are mostly white with 2 shades of medium green, 2 shades of medium blues and 2 shades of medium purples. The colours are rather sparse at the top, near the ceiling but have a few more as they go towards the floor. In the passage leading to the change room, the tiles are totally random in blues and greens and purples and cream. Did I say totally random? Each time I am doing my jogging or jumping jacks, I stare at the wall. It is really inspiring. I have thought about taking this idea to use as a border for my Serendipity Quilt.







It is the justtakes2 quilt that I discovered Dec 30, 2011, just 2 days before the first on line QAL I ever joined. I haven't completed it yet. I was using it as a reward each week as I completed assignments for the masters degree I was working on at the time.




 I graduated that spring and got stuck on a couple of tough blocks.




 I have ideas like using one of my GO dies that cuts 1 1/2 inch strips  to cut many coloured and white strips and sew them together randomly for the borders. I figure I would need at least 3-4000, maybe more, maybe a lot less.




I am making each of the 100 blocks in different Jinny Beyer pallet colours.





I will keep going to waterfit and I will probably keep thinking about borders that have totally random one inch squares.

Blessings,
Chris

linking with:
quilters monday linkup.
needle and thread network . 
 http://estheraliu.blogspot.ca/ 

22 comments:

  1. That antique wedding sampler has beautful blocks...way to go with working on it. And these serendipity blocks are so fresh looking with the white backgrounds. Keep plugging away; with exercise and stitching, every little bit helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a gorgeous quilt, Chris, well worth finishing up! And yes, inspiration is everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen many of these quilts finished, they are all lovely and yours will be too. Enjoy your waterfit classes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely blocks - and what a lovely way of rewarding yourself when you were working on your assignments! Have fun dreaming of random squares - it does sound like a lot of them to complete the border, but a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blocks are all beautiful, your quilt is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Chris...can't wait to see the finished quilt...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chris, your quilt is gorgeous! I love all the colors and they are set off so nicely by the white. It looks crisp and springy. ~smile~
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all these blocks! Tile is a wonderful resource for quilt ideas and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These blocks are so pretty! Thank you for sharing on Midweek Makers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, there is a lot of skill and different techniques in your Serendipity quilt. The idea of all those squares for the borders is just mind boggling- good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful blocks. Gorgeous quilt! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blocks are wonderful! This is going to be a gorgeous quilt. Thanks for linking up with Moving it Forward.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blocks are gorgeous, beautifully pieced.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is amazing! What a terrific collection of block patterns and different techniques!
    I'm sure the inspiration is going to come together and you will figure it out!
    Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! The random squares border sounds interesting. It's funny where we find our inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I've never seen a Just Takes 2 done in different colors. I love it! It's a great quilt pattern in the first place and now you have made it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, all those blocks are very pretty. I love that you are getting inspiration from tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the green and white flower looking block.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great work !! Thanks for sharing on Quilter's Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your JustTskes2 quilt is lovely with all the different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great collection of blocks for your quilt. Love to hear how others get their inspiration - you just never know where quilting inspiration will strike but letting the mind wander as you work out is a great way!

    ReplyDelete