
Patty over at elmstreetquilts and Kristin at kristinesser.com are starting their hand pieced quilt along this week with a tutorial on how to make templates. I started my quilting journey back in the 1970s and making templates using cereal boxes was the thing to do. And this before photocopiers.
As always, choosing the fabrics is the most challenging thing for me. That and actually completing the thing. I wanted to use something different from the 1800's reproduction fabrics that I have worked with on quite a few large reproduction quilts. But I did not want to use the leftover bright modern fabrics that I am making my Bright Jane quilt with. I considered using some of the nearly thousand 1930's fabrics I have. I started collecting them years ago to make a Double Wedding Ring quilt. Then I found a hand pieced top at an antique store in Ohio and abandoned that idea. Why make a reproduction when I have the real thing? I had purchased some fat quarters and fat eighths then found a shop that was clearing out fat sixteenths. I think that was part of the motivation for layer cakes.
I also have lots of 1930s solids to go with all those feedsack bits.
I will figure it out. In the meantime, this week is prep week where we make the templates for the first 3 blocks. And I am working on a course in mental health and learning disorders. The sun is shining and the temperature hit 63F today then rain tomorrow. The flowers will be happy to start their annual appearance.
Blessings,
Chris
I finally ordered the pattern for this. I pulled out the cream with purple flowered print I was planning to use and I actually have 1.5 yards of it! I'm going with scrappy purple I think. Must print it off and make templates tomorrow. Enjoy the decision process. Any of the options would make a lovely quilt. What fabrics are you feeling like playing with?
ReplyDeleteChoosing the fabrics is always tough for me too and I’ve watched so many videos on how to do just that. So far I’m enjoying this quilt along. I’ll look forward to seeing what you decide...it sounds like there is no shortage of choice ther for you. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you will find the perfect fabrics to go with this project!
ReplyDelete