Devan is building a doll house out of cardboard boxes. This girl should really consider becoming an architect or engineer. She needed pillows for the beds so made 4 blues ones and 4 pink ones using some 2 1/2-inch pre-cuts. She is 9 now. So, it was time for her to learn how to wind the bobbin. She had to use some of the new coloured Aurifil threads I won here last year. And, had to have matching thread in the bobbin. I wonder where she learned that from? She also learned how to put the bobbin case in and out as well as thread the machine. She is using the Bernina because it has a 1/4-inch seam guide. The Jazz does also, but the Bernina is better. And besides, I was busy jamming up the Jazz. She is now using the iron and rotary cutters by herself. She tends to complete projects she starts. She goes into grade 4 next week.
Ellyse and I made a trip to the UK to support my sister whose husband of nearly 51 years passed away last month. We survived sharing a double bed for 8 days. She claims I pushed her out one night, but I don't remember doing that. She put in a few stitches on a cross-stitch bookmark. She got to play with newborn puppies and she went to London to visit the Queen, who was up north that week. So she petted the horse and went on a boat ride on the River Thames. She is a great travel companion. She goes into grade 5.
I took Ava to several nurseries to locate a few things for the patio. She said it was the best shopping trip EVER. She found fancy teas, like Matcha green tea and grapefruit, sparkly earrings, a scrub brush as well as various kitchen gadgets. She plans to start making dinner at least once a week for us. Looking forward to that. She also discovered tiny succulent plants including a Venus Flytrap. She now has a grow-op in her room. I told her she would have to take the blanket off the window and let the light in for the plants. She goes into grade 10.
I have 9 complete Lucy crosses so far. If I behave myself, I could have the next 3 done by Wed. I corrected the offending corner units on the blue stripe block. I had sewn the pairs together wrong. My summer goal was to have 12 of these done. But then, summer is not officially over until Sept 21. I plan to focus on stitching together as many sashing strips and cornerstones as I have white hexies basted for my Sept Lucy goal. I caved and am using glue for the 1-inch squares.
Blessings,
Chris
STEM learnings for your granddaughters. That is just wonderful. I'm an ndustral engineer and the things I learned from sewing have been so useful over the years. The ability to see things in 3D and figure out how to make it.is essential. Understanding why precision is important to get your pieces to fit together is something I have had to teach others in industry. Plants and horses and puppies, all wil prime them for the future. Despite what schools pass off as STEM, coding isn't it.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like those girls are keeping you very busy. Your Lucy blocks are looking beautiful.
ReplyDeleteIt great to have the young ones enjoying sewing and growing plants…
ReplyDeleteGorgeous Lacy’s…
Maria from Lifeontheblock
wow the you have lots of Lucy blocks done.......they look great..........so nice to spend time with the girls.........
ReplyDelete