Pages

Saturday, August 2, 2025

Stonefields & August Challenges


My OMG goal last month was to make 7 more of these star blocks for Stonefields. 
My OMG for August will be to make several more of the 6 inch blocks. There are 3 or 4 with hexies. I will start there.

I am really enjoying this journey so far. Four of these stars still need some tiny circles appliqued on but I will wait until I am doing more circle blocks. I took time to look through the pattern pages and listed blocks with circles. If I have the circle making stuff out, I might as well make a lot. That was my thinking with the hexies and the flying geese. 

There are 121 six inch blocks in the middle of the quilt then a flying geese border then a wider hexagon border. I am still of the mind to make only 72 blocks.  

For this project, I am working on the outside borders right at the beginning. Here is the logic. As I sorted through all the soft floral prints for the first star blocks, I took the time to cut a multitude of strips of the same fabrics to cut and prep the flying geese and the hexagon units. There will be a lot of each. Why wait until the end?  I layed out several layers of the fabrics and cut, cut cut. Devan helped me cut out hexies with the Go Baby. I will now cut a few more strips for her. She is at camp again this week loving it. I really like the colours so far that I have used. I think I will keep to this pallet. No reds or orange or really dark fabrics. 

The Chookshed Challenge number is 7. I again tweaked my original list and will assemble a flimsy. I have several almost ready to sew up. You will have to wait until the end of the month to see which one(s) I get done. 

Our summer Houseguests have all returned to their respective homes. I see a few weeks of empty spaces on my calendar. My plan for now is to sew, sew, sew and write, write, write. 

The summer days here continue to be nice and hot but the evenings have cooled down to a nice 15C or 60F. Perfect for sleeping. 
Blessings,
Chris

10 comments:

  1. Stonefields is growing nicely.
    Enjoy your free time to get No 7 done.
    15c is lovely sleeping weather.
    Maria lifeontheblock

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your color pallet looks very nice. You are wise to start sewing the flying geese for the border. Will I do it that way, probably not. I'll way until the center is completed then binge sew them. Happy stitching with your no guest weeks ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving your colors for the Stonefields and how neat you have a helper! Smart to work ahead on the border cutting while you have the fabrics out. I would love to have 60 degree evening sleeping temps. Good luck with your goals this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your soft color palette. I've seen several people discussing this quilt lately, so I had to go look up the pattern. Looking forward to seeing how you progress. And working on those flying geese ahead of time is a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sensible to cut what you can once you have the fabric out & ready to go! the colours are so pretty. Happy sewing & writing while the house is quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stonefields is growing nicely. And you're right, I'm from Canada as well, and it's going to be cool this week, so here comes the sewing and the rain!! Good luck with your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like it will be an amazing quilt when done. I love your approach to cutting and working on it. And as for your weather, this Louisiana girl is a bit jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blocks look great, what a pretty soft colour palette.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a pretty colour palette Chris - this will be such a lovely quilt when done. It makes sense to group the blocks like you have, especially when there are so many to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait, WHAT?!!! You cut out your hexies for Stonefields with Accuquilt?! My mind is blown!!! I did check AccuQuilt for a 3/4" hexie die and had concluded that they didn't make one in that size. I forgot that they label their dies by the cut size and not by the finished size. I saw that their EPP Qube die set only comes in 1" finished sides and when I saw that Small Hexies die I assumed that the 1" hexie was also 1" finished... Is that the die you're using, the one that has a 1", 1 1/2" and a 2 1/2" cut side length on a single die? I love your idea of starting with the borders, too. Each time I cut into a print fabric for one of the blocks I'm thinking that I'll want that fabric to reappear in the borders as well. Your stars and geese look lovely so far; I love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete