Pages

Friday, August 15, 2025

Stonefields Update

I have been home all alone for a few days without any other humans around. People will show up tomorrow. In the meantime, I have been a busy girl. I can eat what I want when I want where I want. But I still have to do dishes. But not many. I did some laundry and, get this, I even ran the machine through a clean cycle since there were no other humans standing in line to do their own wash. I did stay out of the hot tub since I do not go in there when I am home alone. 

I am starting with the borders for Stonefields. And why not? I am loving doing the flying geese units. Partly because that is all I am doing with them. Earlier, I made flying geese for the star blocks and that is that. I am doing the method that gives me a gzillion bonus triangles. I am planning to make something very tiny with them. Not sure what just yet. I have another 50 to make.

And you would think that with all the many different hexies I have prepped so far, how did I manage to make these first 2 flowers, that are not going into the border, the same sprigged floral? 
I tried hand stitching the yellow one together. That took me nearly an hour while watching Miss Marple. The pink one was a lot faster. I machined stitched it. First I stitched 2 hexies together from the back. One using a tiny zigzag then another seam using a blanket stitch. Both show from the front. Then I machine appliqued them both onto the background square using a tiny narrow zig-zag. I did leave the papers in. Oops. Well, maybe not. I cut away the back and pulled out the papers. I am using a neutral colour bottom line thread that I was hoping would disappear. Almost and that is good enough. Only 168 more flowers to go.

Check out what Gretchen is doing here , here here and here. Rebecca here and here. I am so inspired! 
Blessings,
Chris

12 comments:

  1. Lovely to see your progress. I especially like the fussy cut butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good idea to piece those flying geese and hexies ahead of time. The butterfly is so cute! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are making wonderful progress on this huge project!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for thinking ahead about what to do with the Flying Geese spare triangles. You have certainly amassed quite a collection. Love the fussy cut butterfly at the center of your yellow flower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are making great progress tackling one thing at a time. Can't wait to see the little triangle project. How big are they? It's always nice when you can do what you want, when you want with no one around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great progress on your Stonefields project.
    It's always nice to have some me time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fun to be alone at home for a short time! You did a lot of stitching! Pretty blocks, and your machine appliqué looks perfect. Thank you for sharing and linking up your sweet blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are making great progress and enjoy 'your' time before others arrive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Chris, I think I've said I have the Stonefields pattern...it's on my some day list. So very interesting for me to see your progress. Pretty fabrics and blocks and how clever to use machine applique. How sweet to have alone time too! I could use some of that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your borders and blocks are looking wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great progress! Those flying geese are so pretty and whatever you make with the tiny bonus HSTs is going to be gorgeous. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2025/08/13/wednesday-wait-loss-445

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am intrigued by your hexie rosettes, Chris! I think both versions look great and the math is very sobering when you multiply one hour for hand stitching times 168 remaining rosettes. Have you thought about using Wonderfil or Microquilter or even monofilament thread instead of Bottom Line for even more invisible stitches than you're getting now? I have been experimenting with invisible machine applique on my Bernina and the results look so good that I'll probably switch off between hand and machine stitching throughout the quilt depending on each block and whether I'm sewing on the go or at home that day.

    ReplyDelete