This is the Forgotten Quilt Book Challenge project for 2026. I will post monthly about my progress.
My plan for the leaves is to run the fused green fabric through the custom dies GO cutter. That is why I got them made back in 2013. I do like to plan ahead. The next thing to figure out was what to use for the background. It had to be white. And it had to be all from the same bolt. I had several options. Some Kona Snow and some Kona White. But the background squares were to be cut an odd 24 by 26. And that would take the cut right through the center crease that all new fabric has.
How to get around that? I had purchased a wide back but where, oh, where had it gone to? I finally made a decision. I chose the Kona White.
If the fusible stuff shows, no one will notice.
I cut them square. They will be 20 inches finished.
The plan always was to machine applique and then machine quilt. I thought quilt-as-you-go would be the thing. So, I needed to learn how to do that. I had not yet learned how to do needle turn hand applique. And besides, all the stuff was missing for years. But it is all sitting here now, ready to play.
My OMG goal for June will be to have one block prepped and ready to begin the machine applique. I did purchase matching thread way back when, but I fear not having enough once I get started. Oh. Decisions. Decisions. I do have lots of that Aurifil 30 thread I won here 5 years ago. Lots of it. 36 spools with 1000 yards each. Should the thread match or contrast? Which stitch or stitches should I use? I will figure it out.
I am off to a quilt retreat this weekend. Well, Sun-Tues. I have packed a few containers of OMIGOSH bits to trim and sew into 4 1/2 inch Shoo Fly blocks. I have the RSC blues, reds, greens and oranges. That shoud keep me busy. I also am taking 2 Morrell blocks. Some of those have accompanied me on every quilt retreat in the past 11 years so why stop now. Stonefields is planning to come along hoping I will play. There are no less than 4 containers of those bits and pieces in various stages.
But what I am trying to finish up this week is Bricks and Mortar. This is a flannel kit I bought about 30 years ago. I am so close.
blessings,
Chris
Linking with: alyciaquilts.finished
Have a good time at the retreat!
ReplyDeleteHave a great time at retreat! Some of your thread could contrast and some could match. . it would give a more natural look to the block and enable you to play more with your thread stash! Whatever you decide will be the best choice though!
ReplyDeleteYour roses are going to look wonderful. Choices about background and threads are always tricky ;) Just like choosing the machine appliqué stitches! Have fun playing with this project, and enjoy your retraite too, though it sounds like you will have plenty to keep you busy! Thank you for sharing your project for the Challenge and linking up.
ReplyDeletealways great to see what's shakin at your place...pretty sure fun is in the plans...
ReplyDeleteGreat job working on a 30 year old project. I am grateful I don't have any that old yet.
ReplyDeleteIt pleases me that you are still doing applique' even if it is fusible. Sure wish your hands would let you do what you are so talented at, but at least you can move forward with what works better for you. It will be beautiful either way.
Enjoy the retreat.
ReplyDeleteDid you finish your Bricks and Mortar quilt?
ReplyDeleteHope you had a great time at retreat.
Enjoy your retreat!!
ReplyDeleteYou're going to be kept busy ... enjoy.
ReplyDeleteI applaud your planning ahead on your projects. :D Have fun at your retreat. It looks like you have a nice variety of projects to work on.
ReplyDeleteim sure it will all work out............hope you enjoyed the retreat.....
ReplyDelete