Back to Square One
I thought I knew a thing or two about machine applique.
After all, I took a course 11 years ago, bought the book, needles, thread
and even used it on a couple of quilts over the years.
Yeah . . . Right . . .
So, I am back to square one and re-reading the book.
Interesting that I often pull it out to check how to adjust my machine thread tension.
I find that all so confusing.
Well, so does Harriet Hargrave and that is why she goes to great lengths in her books to teach us how to prepare and adjust our machines correctly and
how to choose the appropriate tools to do the job we want to do.
I want to machine applique the Ben Biggs Quilt and failed miserably in my first attempt because I was in too big a hurry.
So, it is on the design wall until next month's block is released and we shall see what happens then.
In the mean time, I am working on 2 large raw edged applique quilts that I have cut out the shapes from my collection of GO dies and want to stitch up by machine.
I have been hunting all over the internet for insights only to find
that I had the book here all the time
checking how to adjust
my tension.
Enough said.
Blessings,
Chris
I did some machine applique over christmas and I loved it. I'll have to check this book out and your Benn Biggs quilt...so curious. Happy appliqueing!
ReplyDeletedo join the Ben Bigg's BOM. I have seen some of the most beautiful colour choices so far and wish I could make one in each colour way.
DeleteThe machine applique I learned was even before HH's book, my gramma taught me on a little ole' singer! There are so many interesting quilting techniques, aren't there? Glad you linked up with Needle and Thread Network so I could find you!
ReplyDeleteI have 4 little ole' singer featherweights and just might try using one of them to machine applique. I have been trying to figure out the fusible raw edge technique which requires a zig zag sort of stitch.
DeleteFunny you posted on applique as I was thinking of starting a BOM project, but so far am too intimidated to try! Let's both get going as best we can.
ReplyDeleteGive Ben Biggs a try. If you join the group right away, you can get the first pattern free before the next ones are released each month. I will be posting progress as I go along over the next 2 years. I like that it is only 1 block each month. I joined the Chester Criswell BOM on block 13 and had to catch up. I love love love hand applique, but can only do so much.
DeleteHarriet's books are wonderfully informative. Another gal is Deb Wagner and she does amazing applique stuff!
ReplyDelete