Pages

Friday, June 20, 2014

Save - Attach - Send

These are three of the most beautiful words to those of us who are doing academic studies online. However, more important is proof - proof - proof. And just to make sure, proof it a couple more times.

I have been working on this course for my doctorate in christian counseling for about a year now. There are no due dates in this self paced program. This is good and bad. This is good because I have all the time I need to do the readings and do the writings. It is bad because I have all the time I need to do the readings and do the writings. I read the book twice then did the multiple choice exam and underlined every correct answer in the book, just to be on the safe side. I outline 4 chapters and typed out the  notes using Vista and formatting according to the guidelines given by the school. Okay so far.

Then, I was told to change the format and I did. Sort of. Then, when I finally got to the place last week of typing out the rest of the 14 chapters, do you think I could format it the same as before??? Something has changed in my program and it is driving me to eat potato chips, which I seldom ever do since I prefer sweets and there are were lots of chips in the pantry here at my daughter's and very few sweets, probably because I have eaten most of them.

So here is what I have been up to. I did homework many nights babysitting my 3 little girl grand babies over the past few months. I write all my notes by hand because I can think better with a pen in hand and I can add bits here and there and draw a line to move a sentence. I can lay out all the pages in front of me and see where I am. I had finished typing out all notes last night and even wrote up the 3 page personal summary of how this course spoke to  me personally. Good so far. Today, I proofed it, adjusted some spacing and then before emailing it in, I sent myself a copy to see how it would look. Scrolled down through the 54 pages and that is when I discovered that I had missed a chapter summary. No problems. I went back and added that, then found I had missed not just 1 summary but 2 and a whole page of notes. A few more spacing adjustments. This is when my daughter suggested since I did not have a deadline, proof it once more before sending it in . . . tomorrow. . . that means changing the date on the cover page. . .

I have decided to buy a new computer. Not an expensive one. A desk top. With a large screen. I have been having lots of issues with internet on  this laptop and have been told that it is probably because it is 5 years old. Technology changes quickly these days and we should be prepared to upgrade sooner rather than later.
But I am still not planning to get a cell phone in the near future.

2 down - 10 to go.
Blessings,
Chris

4 comments:

  1. Wow Chris! You put me to shame! Tonight I tried to thread a serger sewing machine and gave up by the time I had threaded only two threads.... I found out it was missing the second needle! I probably wont try working on this again for months. I don't think I could compete with your academic ambitions! I hate helping my ten year old with just his homework! I would prefer to organise a closet or something!:P
    L. Otten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Leanne you can organize my closets anytime . . . well actually I have a cleaning lady dying to organize my closets and book shelves . . . but I pay her to clean away the dirt in my big ole farm house . . . come to think of it . . . you used to do that too . . . until you got married and moved away and had a bunch of kids . . . and neither of us milk cows anymore . . . I had no academic ambitions until my kids grew up and left home . . . and now I am just trying to keep up with what God is calling me to do.

      Delete
  2. Hm... "Trying to keep up with what God is calling you to do." Has God given you a deadline?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a very good question . . . I am turning 62 next month so . . . no deadline but l could ask . . .
      "one thing at a time . . . one day at a time"

      Delete