Last night I printed off and taped together 5 pattern layouts for the Ben Biggs quilt that I am way behind in. I traced off the patterns onto wash away fuseable web and took time to cut them all out. I did remember to label them first. Two boxes of new fat quarters arrived from Craftsy. I had them in my cart and responded to a flash sale 2 1/2 weeks ago and got a better price then than they were offering last week, so I am happy. I have been slowly, oh so slowly, working on my simple tutorials for the Bright Jane quilt blocks. The sun is shining so brightly in here today.
In 2 weeks the house guest start to arrive for Christmas. Most recent count is 4 guests staying at my house, and 24 for Christmas dinner here at the Farm. Six of the nine coming from Saskatchewan will be staying in other homes. First guest arrives from Qatar Dec 18 and the last 2 leave for New Brunswick Jan 10. Both of these will be making quilts while they are here. Now, in order to sit 24 people at the same time in the same room, I need all 4 of my quilt tables cleared off, moved to the living room, that is 25 feet long, and I think there are enough chairs throughout the house to seat everyone at the same time. I have more than enough dishes since I bought all of them from a hotel auction 30 years ago and only broke one so far. Stacking chairs came from a local church auction 25 years ago. One of the joys of living in a really big ole farm house, is that stuff seldom gets thrown out since there is so much room to store things. However, I did give away the 100 year old church piano (bought from the same auction) last week so have a whole wall empty in the living room. I am dying to fill that space with book shelves to house the hundreds of books sitting in boxes right now. Maybe. Just maybe, I could ask for bookshelves for Christmas? My daughter and my husband have had an annual luncheon date for the past 30 years to go out and buy my Christmas present. She always asks to make sure that I am happy. Hhmm.
And I drew up a 2015 goals diagram. Instead of writing a linear list like I usually do, I thought this might be more effective. Its like putting rocks into a jar. Only a very few large ones will fit, so the largest rock is completing my doctorate. The smaller stones are also important but not so big. Sand to fill in the gaps will be regular stuff like blogging, retreats, quilting, travel. And water to fill all the tiny spaces is everyday stuff. I might change it but that is what came to mind immediately when I started.
Somehow, all the farm files made their way into the quilt room and this is the priority this week. The corn got combined yesterday and looks like a good crop this year so should have enough from selling it to pay for all the fertilizers, spraying, seed, combining, drying, silo filling, fuel for tractor and wages for workers. Then we get to start all over again with orders for next year's seed corn in the bills to pay file.
Blessings,
Chris
I like your approach for your 2015 goals - makes a lot of sense to me, and I just might piggy back off it! The sunshine on your sewing space is so beautiful - makes the blocks sparkle. I can't imagine all the fun you will have with 24 for Christmas dinner! Wow! Do feel better soon.
ReplyDeleteThank you. I am learning to delegate. There will be enough family in the house the day before to set uo tables, chairs, peel potatoes and then others to clean up. I am so blessed. That and I cannot stay standing on my feet for very long.
DeleteI agree! Is it December! I like how you are organizing. I am doing that too but in my head. Wow for that big get-together. Those sure are cute and colourful flowers!
ReplyDeleteSome days and many nights I keep organizing in my head. It's the follow-through.
DeleteI think you are more organized than you feel. I also like how you have planned your goals for next year. Just remember to have fun with that house full that you will have for the holidays. And get better soon too.
ReplyDeletein stitches
in between moving tables and chairs, I plan to set up a chess tournament somewhere and must have Hello Kitty UNO for Ava now that she know how to play. I will sit and snuggle the baby while everyone else helps.
ReplyDeletewhat\'s your doctorate in? looks like theology or something like it. good luck. I finished my MA 18 months ago - i made the thesis the priority too.
ReplyDeleteMy masters is in theological studies and the doctorate is in Christian counseling. I did not do a thesis and believe it or not, I have an option about a dissertation.
DeleteYou are so organized! I love your 2015 planning... 24 for Christmas dinner would be a challenge if you didn't have the room or the resources. Sounds like you have it covered. Including games is a must. I plan to have a picture puzzle table as well as a chess table!
ReplyDeletepicture puzzle is a great idea . . . I have one of Mrs Miller's cabin with quilts from Charm Ohio . . . but aybe a small one for the kids too . . . I like that.
DeleteHope you have a nice time with Xmas. A lot of work, but a house full of people and loved ones is such a joy. And you are organisezed in my opinion, so you will be tired but happy when it is Januari again!! Happy Xmas
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete