Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Putting on my Socks

I know. I know. I've been quiet here for a while. I have been reading blogs. I have not been quilting. What I have been doing is homework, but not too much. I anticipate completing a course this week. Maybe.

I am hosting a quilting retreat here at the Farm this weekend. Still have a lot of clutter to put away and get the room ready for the 6 girls who will be here to hang out, quilt, eat, talk and hang out. Two guest rooms are ready and the heat is already turned on. It takes a day or two to warm up the rooms just right. Two of the girls just got back form a vacation in Iceland to see the Northern Lights. They say it was +5C and raining the other day when we had -15C and snow. I wonder what interesting potluck food will show up?

Another thing I have been doing is physiotherapy. Three weeks ago I started to go twice a week to get some serious attention to my right hip area which had me unable to stand much or walk any distance beyond to my car. Has it helped? Yes. I get traction on the right leg. A lot of stretching exercises which I have been trying to do at least twice per day. I have seen their chiropractor and massage therapist and together they are working to get me mobile. I impulsively stated that I could now train for the "Couch to 5 K" charity run taking place in November. Our church gets involved to raise funds for a mission in the Dominican Republic. If I keep my eyes on that goal, I should be able to walk or at least push my walker so I can sit down and do the 5 K. Easy peasy. I used to take walks like that back in the day.  

Today I finally got my Brother machine back from the sewing machine hospital. Its been 3 months!! and $400 for the new fuse and they said the needle up/down mechanism was broken. It was not broken the last time I used it. But at least now I can get back to doing some machine quilting. I might even get GORF completed.

The little girl grand children have taken turns being sick and that means a day at the Farm. Lots of snuggles and watching their favourite videos.

However, one of the most exciting things going on here lately is that I can now put on my socks! This is huge! I took up the challenge to "Eat Clean" for 30 days. I am on day 18. I was reading about it a few months ago but did not see 30 days in a row on my calendar where I was willing to give up grains (cookies, turkey dressing, pasta), dairy (I am a dairy farmer), sugar (addictions) and legumes (whatever that is). So, I set Jan 12 as the start date. I had not planned on being sick that week and starting physio therapy that week just sort of happened. I thought I was being referred to a new chiropractor.

On day 3 I put on my socks sitting on the edge of my bed. I used to stand beside a chair, lift one leg up with my hand and pull the sock on with my toes hanging over the edge. I got one try to get it. Now I can just put them on. So, something I have stopped eating has been causing my feet and legs to swell. I can do the stairs easily now. And I am 1/4 of the way to my 2015 goal of losing 40 pounds. But don't tell since I am not supposed to step on the scale for 30 days. The motto is "No cheating". But I had to put in a new battery and check to see if it was working properly. I eat all the meat, seafood, fruits and vegetables that I want. I had one day of craving about day 11. I ate 3 bananas that day. After the 30 days, I start re-introducing the foods that I have avoided one at a time to see what has been the trigger. I'm pretty sure its not the legumes.

Blessings,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment