It was supposed to be simple. I had the corner leaves already stitched on. Then, I traced the pattern on to the back of the background to do my best back basting technique. Well, I stitched the first green piece on. It was crooked and the points did not line up with the leaves in the corners. I thought I should get it done on one of the four nights I babysat last week. So, I un-stitched it. Another day, I pressed the block and started again. This time, the points were straight and the corners lined up. Good so far. Wrong. I pulled out my kit and found that I did not have the extra fabrics with me to continue. Okay. So the next time, I put in the extra fabrics, thread, scissors, pins and packed my my sleeping bag and pillow as I volunteered to drive a group of junior highs to a weekend camp clean-up. Great. I had two whole days to myself in my private little cabin. Sigh. I did not pack a fat tapestry needle to do the back basting. Grr. So . . .
| 1857 Block 18 |
I continued to stitch corner leaves on the blocks I did put in my kit. I am well ahead now for the new blocks to be released June 1.
| 1857 backgrounds |
Chris
It is so frustrating when we forget just 1 simple item! But you sure made good use of your time. I count 10 blocks ready for center applique, way to go Chris. Have a good week-end! Blessings, Gretchen
ReplyDeletethanks. Because I cut out all those leaves with my GO cutter and cut out all the background squares, it only takes a few minutes to crease the block and position the leaves. Then they are ready to go whenever I want to keep my hands busy but not my brain.
DeleteWell, I do think you will be glad you did all those corners. Things will go faster from here!
ReplyDeleteThose corners are so easy to do.
DeleteI had to laugh...this reminded of of packing up a quilt, thread, every single thing needed to take down to my kid's house ...watching little ones for awhile...and no needle. It's NOT funny at the time but later on it is. So look at you ! Your block is lovely and then all of those extra leaves done as well.
ReplyDeleteI did not get to this last block YET!!
And I packed my kit 2 days ahead! I was chuckling as I mentally prepared what to write. But I was 3 hours from home! I have not yet co9moleted the one with the cherries and the bird. Something about circles, but that is next weeks topic.
DeleteOh dear... so frustrating to be missing something you need when you have the time to stitch!
ReplyDeleteGood thing you had the backgrounds to finish... you made good use of your time :)
I try not feeling guilty for having so many background blocks prepped. But I do have other projects I could work on.
DeleteIt is so annoying when you think you have everything you need to enjoy some stitching and find that you forgot something important. At least you were able to get some stitching completed.
ReplyDeleteI actually have 2 kits for this quilt and was updating the one and the fat needle was in the other. Sometimes I get confused.
DeleteOh no! I have yet to use a tapestry needle to back baste. I just grab whichever one I am using. I know it makes bigger holes... but works (too lazy to go find one in the sewing room). I'm back basting the diamonds =).
ReplyDeleteI chose to do the leaves since there are exactly half as many points to turn. I initially tried the back basting with a regular needle but it was not working for me until Gay and Brenda told me to use a fatter needle and I have lots of tapestry needles. Embroidery needles work also.
DeleteLove your block #18. I am saving all the files for this quilt...for...maybe someday. It's so frustating when we have the time but not all the items needed. Happy Slow Sunday Stitching.
ReplyDeleteI collected and saved files for several other of Gay's quilts and have not started any of them. I find if I jump right in, I get somewhere.
DeleteGrrr.
ReplyDeleteYou are well-ahead of those leaves though! Thanks for linking up, I am looking forward to more blocks, as I am sure you are too ;)
I can hardly contain myself, but June 1 will come.
DeleteSounds like me packing for our retreat - always forget something. Forgot my teflon sheet, so no applique gluing for me. Grr.
ReplyDelete