I write to-do lists all the time. More as a reminder of things I want to do but also as motivation to get some things done other than house work and regular daily stuff. I seldom add write a blog post. I just do those on the spur of the moment. I do not add listen to worship music or read blogs or check emails or play games or snack or take a shower or eat lunch. I just do those things. I should add comb my hair to the list. I usually forget unless I am leaving the house but not always then.
I keep a check list of things I want to accomplish each month. Initially it was as a reminder to do them. Things like journal, treadmill, stitching, writing, etc. It eventually became a did-not-do list with accompanying feelings of guilt but not quite shame. After all, it was my own private list. Most days I forgot to even look at it. Other times, I would look back at the month and see how often I forgot to check in. Or saw so many blank spaces. The plan was not to create guilt. Goodness knows, I have had enough of that thrown my way over the years. It was, in part, to help with my forgetfulness. And now I have forgotten where I was going with this rant.
Writing up a to-do list publicly on my blog is kind of risky. What will readers think about someone who keeps not doing what she says she wants to do. I want to complete my doctorate. I know, I keep saying that. But getting into the writing is so hard most days. I know, I need to just do it. Fear of failure has haunted me most of my life. I have failed in many things. BUT, I have succeeded in many more! After all, I am a published author. I completed 2 university degrees in my 50's. I have traveled the world and back countless times by myself. I have spoken to audiences big and small around the world about the love of God and I survived changing diapers on, not one but 2, little boy grand children for nearly a year. AND I have stayed married to the same man for more than 47 years. He definitely is a keeper. After all, he makes me breakfast most days.
This blog has been my place to write and share and encourage mostly about my quilting journey. And, my goodness, that has been amazing these past 5 years. It has also been a place to share about my life experiences. I am, after all, in my 7th decade (that sounds older than just 66). I plan to write more about my faith journey. That has been quite a roller coaster ride but I am a survivor. Also, since I have started the book study with Jenny of elefantz on The Gentle Art of Domesticity, I will be writing more reflectively in response to her thought provoking questions each week.
My to-do list for last week was short
- finally finish the rest of ITPAC and submit
- birthday party for David turning 3 on Friday
- waterfit 3 x
- start whole30 clean eating program after the pizza and cake on Friday
- finish final blocks for Dear Daughter and assemble the top.
- and clear the stuff off my table and put it away in neat containers.
This week's will be even shorter.
- assemble Dear Daughter
- eat clean.
Blessings,
Chris
I make lists all the time...sometimes I read and accomplish what I write. But, it is okay when I do not and the same for you. Just started following your blog..... and I also will be joining Jenny on this journey.
ReplyDeleteWelcome to my blog. It is a pleasure to have you follow. I am just now reading about inspiration form Jane Brocket's pespective.
DeleteI like to use lists to remind me to focus on the priority tasks and not forget the stuff that has to get done but isn't a priority. Good luck with your list for this week.
ReplyDeleteBeen clean eating for 3 days and finally moved stuff off the tables.
DeleteI use my list as a guide for what I'd like to get done for the week, but I often change my mind and end up doing something else. I don't get upset about it or feel like I failed though. It just means that what I intended for the week wasn't supposed to be the main plan. It always gives me a jumping off point, and if that changes I think that's perfectly fine too. Sometimes we just have to go where our heart and creativity leads us!
ReplyDelete