Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Cross Stitch

Our elefantz reading this week from Jane Brocket's book The Gentle Art of  Domesticity focuses on beginning and not following through on crafts. That is me. I tried so many different crafts over the years. I took up counted cross stitch way back in the day when my kids were pre-schoolers. Not sure if I took a work shop or just started. I bought patterns and floss and more patterns. I had baskets and bags of books and frames and rolls of fabric and I was going to make every one of them. I even started teaching it at our local school. We made little framed Christmas ornaments. After all, it had to be something doable for the 10-11 year olds.

 Problem for me was, I wanted to have a completed something right away. I had not yet learned the art of slowing down and just stitching for the sake of enjoying stitching. Taking one stitch then another.

I even sold stitchery kits at home parties for a while. I probably bought more kits than I sold or so it seemed. I did, however, complete this one. I recall redoing that top right corner several times until I had it perfect. It had to be perfect. I operate out of left brain function and cross stitch was invented for people like me. I loved following the straight rows and columns and the counting. The colours were already selected so I did not have to pick and choose.
But I did change the colour of the cows. They had to be brown. And I did change the style of the house so it is my house. And I did change the verse because I could.



Most patterns have a floss list so you can purchase all the recommended colours. I bought lots and lots of floss. And containers to store them in.

The dates on these two samplers say I completed them in 1990. But when did I start them? I recall starting this while working as a poll clerk at a federal election. I had to sit there all day and people came in to vote sporadically. I thought it would be easy enough to do that outline border. My goodness, I had to stop and start counting so many times before I had it right. Then I stitched in all the little frames for each section. I loved it.

And why did I stop stitching samplers? Because I started not finish quilts!

Blessings,
Chris

4 comments:

  1. I do love this post, counted cross stitch still eludes me, I have done the stamped cross stitch kits to practice making those little XXX's but I know it isn't the same. I have patterns, fabrics floss and even kits with all the necessities but I still hesitate to start one. For now surface embroidery fills my slow stitching need. I love those two pieces you finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just rediscovered cross stitch. I'm trying to finish a large piece started in 1983. I find that magnifying readers help a lot! It seems that once I became a quilter, all other crafts fell to the bottom of the closet. Your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never got into the counted cross stitch thing. I enjoy embroidery and thought that was enough. Now I make quilts, needle turn applique and EPP. That is really enough. Your samplers are lovely. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete