Pages

Friday, January 10, 2020

New Quilt Start

My new quilt start for 2020 will be the Ella-Maria-Deacon-Quilt from Sentimental Stitches. I have thought about, dreamed about, talked about, written about and even obsessed (just a bit) about this amazing sampler quilt from 1842. Month 5 blocks will be released on Jan 15 and I will be jumping in then. The plan is to make 50 of the 85 blocks. And why only 50? Because next year my Sweet Farmer and I will be celebrating 50 years of marriage to each other and I want to make one block for each of those years for this commemorative quilt. And how do I decide which blocks I will make? I will start by not making the ones I have made previously and go from there.


But first, I have to sort and organize all the Jane Austin Reproduction fabrics I collected many years ago in anticipation of a very special quilt and this will be it. I even found a 10 yard cut of the most delicious creamy tone on tone fabric for the background.


How can one resist a fabric called "Darcy? I still have an entire bin of 1830-1850 reproduction prints I will have fun sorting through to put with them. There will be no poison green, chrome yellow or turkey red.



The setting triangles will be this Austin Print. I have exactly enough with a few scraps left over to add to the blocks. The stripe is Susannah Scraps. I got a 10-inch stack of those also. This is going to be so much fun. Right up there with a dissertation. I will use this as a reward when I complete significant course work and writing.


I just realized I have not started a new quilt in nearly TWO YEARS when I started Dear Daughter in March 2018. So, I did keep with my resolve to not start a new quilt in 2019.

Blessings,
Chris
needleandthreadnetwork.

7 comments:

  1. G'day Chris,
    Good Luck with your Quest - 50 Blocks in a Year!
    I am SO behind with my "Just One Block a Day" temperature Quilt. I am hoping to keep ahead of the calendar as I play catch up this year but I fear it will be impossible.
    Cheers Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on not starting any new quilts in 2019 and for the upcoming 50 years of marriage! Choosing the fabrics for each block is the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You deserve to start a new quilt. You did excellent in 2019 so go for it in 2020. That's a great idea of making 50 blocks to commemorate your wedding anniversary. Looking forward to see this one grow. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this will be lovely! What a wonderful, meaningful project for 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The anniversary isn't until Aug 2021 so I have lots of time.

      Delete
  5. I so admire those of you who are making the Ella Maria Deacon quilt. The blocks look so intricate -- and beautiful! You have some wonderful fabrics for it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete