Pages

Friday, December 16, 2022

Morrell Revisited

I first read about the Sarah Morrell quilt in Sept 2013 then ordered the pattern Nov 2013. The pattern arrived Feb 2014. Then I bought several French General fat quarter bundles on a ridiculous sale from Craftys Nov 2014 and prewashed fabric Oct 2015. Can you tell I had been planning the thing for a while? I officially started Nov 2015 at the Shipshewana retreat and have taken blocks with me every single one of the 6 retreats I attended over the years. I actually thought I might make some progress during the 2017 challenge. 

This pattern was reproduced from a 1842 sampler quilt by the late Di Ford-Hall. 



As I look at what I have accomplished so far on these blocks, I get excited to consider continuing the journey. But, there are only 24 hours, 1440 minutes, 86,400 seconds in a day. Tara of Tazzie Quilts has the pattern and is planning to start hers. We can work on them together. 



Since my discovery of EPP, I have decided to make block #55 next. I just happened to have a thousand 3/4 inch hexie papers and I only need 19 to make it. I will do the fussy cutting thing and see how I like sewing together hexagon shapes. There are 3 radiant star blocks, but I am in no hurry to attempt  those just yet. The 3 Saw Toothed framed blocks each need to have some Broderie Perse arrangements added. There are still a lot of Broderie Perse blocks to do. I think I will do a blitz of prepping and arranging. 

But. alas, Christmas is coming and so are a lot of houseguests for my brother's wedding next week. But first, the bookkeeper is due again today and then the accountant to do the year end books for the farm. Since we sold the milk quota earlier this year, that is more complicated than most farming years. 

Freezing rain yesterday warmed up the soil in the flower beds and the rest of the tulips finally got planted. Well, all but the few I decided to give to the grandchildren to plant in pots. 

Blessings,
Chris


7 comments:

  1. I'll have to get out my book and see what block 55 is. She's a beautiful quilt and you do an excellent job. Happy stitching and Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great quilt! So much variety that you will never get bored making it, I think. Did Gaye recreate the blocks and make patterns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gay carries some Australian designer patterns already patterned and printed.

      Delete
  3. I would suggest relaxing before the holidays and start fresh in the new year this way you can concentrate on this beauty hope you have great holidays with family

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun quilt and so happy someone is sewing along with you next year on it. Hope you have a wonderful holiday season (and wedding!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to watching yours and Tara's progress

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy we're going to be working on this quilt together. I seem to be having a hard time breaking away from the starting line, but I'm hoping to prep some hexies tomorrow to get me in the groove.
    Hope you're having a great week hon
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete