December 1st I was meeting with my writing accountability partner, and as I was about to identify my writing goal for the coming week, the words, "I am putting down my pen until after the New Year" came out of my mouth. What does that mean? To literally put down my pen or to stop writing altogether??
I do have a lot going on this month of December.
- Women's small group Racklette potluck tomorrow.
- Pre-op then surgery to remove a polyp from my uterus next week.
- Pre-op for cataract surgery the following week.
- Houseguest for 2-3 weeks after that.
- Family wedding - why the houseguests are coming.
- Christmas.
- Ignoring the Wedding Quilt - as if I could.
- Plant the rest of the bulbs.
- Have fun stitching on Lucy.
- Oops - I forgot all about the Churn Dash blocks.
I have been writing Morning Pages almost daily for nearly 2 years now. It is a part of my life. As I have been decluttering and rearranging stuff, I have come across more journals and notebooks I have kept over the years. This is fascinating! I have been doing morning pages for years and years. It just wasn't called that, and it wasn't every day, and it wasn't 3 full pages of stream of consciousness writing, but it was pretty much of what I do now.
Seriously, writing is what I do. I process thoughts and intents by writing them out. It often looks like a to-do list but only if I do it point form and maybe write a number in front of it. I have stacks and stacks of notes for the books I have been writing. And now, I have insights how to bring all that together. But I am laying down my pen.
So, instead of handwriting this morning, I spent several hours on the computer booking travel arrangements for a women's retreat to The Black Forest in a Baravian Alpine resort for me and Ava for March. It just happens to be her spring break week. Retreat venue is included, and I booked 2 nights in a chalet place with a balcony and now to get flights for the correct days. Did I mention this is in Germany? I thrive on stuff like this.
My Sweetie and I are going to Australia in April, but I have to wait until after the next Visa statement is processed before booking our flights and rooms. Most of that trip is already pre-booked. Just need to fill in the gaps between international flights. Oh, I am excited.
I have 2 other overseas trips later in the year figured out in my head but have to wait for a bit. And the Vermont Quilt Festival in June and Shipshewana Retreat in November.
But putting my pen down. I will not be writing Pages, nor will I be journaling which is what I have been doing while online with a writing group. Do you think I like writing? Some Decembers I have blogged every day for the whole month. Not going to happen this year. The writing part is easy and fun, but it takes time to respond to blogger's comments and that is what it is all about. Connecting with readers around the world. And I do have a lot going on this month. And I have several posts already written up. I guess my 23 UFOs for 2023 will have to wait to be announced. And my Bertha's Flowerpots BOM will also have to wait. But that is okay because, you see, I have a lot going on this month.
My Sweetie just drove off to pick up a carload of Caesar Salad kits that got dropped off at our son-in-law-the-pastor's church so we could share them with folk around here. I have a dozen ladies coming for lunch tomorrow and they could all use a gift.
Blessings until the New Year,
Chris
This makes perfect sense to me Chris, sometimes you need to switch something out of your days so that you can give yourself wholly to the other things. Take all the time you need and I’ll look forward to seeing you when you’re ready. I hope all your surgeries go well and that you have a wonderful time with your visitors and family.
ReplyDeleteHugs, Tazzie xox
Oh man, you will be playing hard this year. You go girl. Get your body and eyes all working well so you can enjoy.
ReplyDeleteWishing you well for the surgeries and the wedding.
ReplyDeleteMaria lifeontheblock
Sounds like you have more than enough in your life to go on with, and a break from the writing will probably make what you write when you commence again more profound?? Praying that your surgeries will go well, and that Aussie trip will come around before you know it. Makes me wish I was going to Scrub stitching!?
ReplyDeleteMy goodness you have a busier than normal December on tap! The trip to the Black Forest sounds wonderful! I went there at 16 when it was West Germany still. Then Australia - I've always wanted to go there. You have a very fun 2023 being planned as well. I hope all the December plans go smoothly and recovery is quick for you.
ReplyDelete