This block will finish at 24" square and is the largest single block I have appliqued and have learned a few things.
- The angle at which you take the picture can make all the difference in how it looks when posted.
- Centering the pattern on a print is a good idea.
- Centering the pattern on an uneven print is not always easy to do.
It is a good idea to be careful when outlining the center of the pattern as it will show every mistake when stitched.
- It is difficult to see a blue Frixion pen marking on a red and gold print especially when you forget to mark part of it.
- It is easy to make mistakes when reverse appliqueing a center when you cannot see the markings clearly.
- I will redo the lower left corner of the center because that is the only thing I can see on this block for now.
When I get back from Poland, I will be going to the Quilt Farm www.quiltfarm.net for a retreat I had organized last winter. Cannot miss the opportunity to be locked away in a quilt shop for a whole weekend with my bestest quilting friends. I will be working on Dear Jane corner kites.
Chris
Your center block looks great!
ReplyDeleteI think your centre block looks fantastic! The original quilt isn't perfect; no one had freezer paper, marking pens and photocopiers in the 1850s. I think a little unevenness adds to the personality of the project (especially if you are new at applique like I am!)
ReplyDeleteHi Chris, I don't know what you decided to do...but I agree with Sharon. I love it as it is!!
ReplyDeleteI finished it yesterday. I stitch with the invisible quilt police looking over my shoulder and criticizing every teeny mistake. Its like I am stitching to win the ultimate biggest prize for my workmanship, but never quite finishing anything. The ones I do complete are usually given away.
ReplyDelete