I traveled to Poland 2 weeks ago to meet my father's younger sister and her family for the very first time ever. We made a connection through facebook back in March after one of my brothers posted a wedding picture of our parents looking for family.Czeslaw and Halina met in 1945 after WWII and were married Feb 9, 1946 and moved to Canada in 1948.
His sister Albina was only 10 when he left home in 1935 and she saw him for 1 day when he returned to Poland only once in 1966 to see his mother who died a few months later. Halina died at age 73 in 1999 and Czeslaw in 2001 at age 81.
Halina never returned to the land of her birth.
So, my 88 year old Aunt Albina is a real fire cracker. I pulled out my CCCQ blocks the first morning and she asked me to show her what I was doing . . . perhaps another quilting convert. When asked why I did this stitching thing, I replied that I liked to keep my hands busy . . . an alternative to chewing off all my nails.
She stitched on this block for a while then commented her glasses weren't very good then stitched some more and again commented about her glasses. She stitched from left to right and I stitch from right to left.
When I asked if I could go shopping to a fabric store, I was first taken to a store selling curtain materials, then to another selling upholstery material and finally to a tailor shop. I'm not sure quilting is a well known craft in Warsaw at this point, at least in my family there.
Blessings,
Chris

You must be so pleased that you had a chance to build a new relationship with your parents' family. I love your story, and I am so chuffed/pleased that my blocks have played a small part of your visit. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI shared your quilt story with them and then heard my aunt tell it to visitors.
DeleteNow I have to do this block again . . . probably the same colour
that is so nice to meet an aunt in another country. I have been in contact with a quilter in Poland and she says very few people quilt there and she needs to get her fabrics from out of country sources mostly on line.
ReplyDelete