Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Machine Quilting



I quilt on a Brother Nouvelle 1500S that has a 9.5 x 6 inch throat that allows half a quilt sandwich to pass through easily. I recently bought a craft table to set the machine into so the table is level with the machine allowing the quilt to move through easily. I set up an L shape with 2 long tables to hold the weight of the quilt. I no longer try to roll the thing. It did not want to cooperate that way anyway. I like to have my chair higher than normal so I lean in to my work. I find this more comfortable for my back.
This quilt I call Strawberry Chocolate and I made it on impulse for a wedding present for one of my nephews in Saskatchewan. I found enough fabric in my stash to make the whole thing using only 2 fabrics for the front. From start to finish it took me 10 days. I had to get it completed and on the truck for one of my bothers to deliver to the groom and his bride. I was double booked at another family wedding in New York that weekend. I machine appliqued the raw edges of these Hawaiian style designs and connected them with simple sashing and border. The entire top has about 39 pieces. Lots less than many of the 4 1/2 inch Dear Jane blocks.
I simply outlined each block using the walking foot with #50 Aurifil cream thread and then sewed on the binding. This gave a bit less bulk around the edges and then I quilted until I ran out of time. I do what I call scribbling for a design. I do not yet know how to stipple evenly and feathers are out of  my league right now.
I discovered that I was quilting with 2 dislocated ribs and I guess that might explain why I do not get to the quilting part of quilting. I found a business card (who know how it ever got on my desk) to a wonderful massage therapist that I have been seeing ever since.
Blessings,
Chris

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it looks like you are wrestling a monster :) Would love to see more pics of the whole quilt.

    ReplyDelete