Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2014

CCCQ # 20

This past weekend my husband and I went to Bedford Pennsylvania for the annual Blue Halter Sale where we were selling 4 of our Guernsey cows. During the youth auction after the banquet Fri night, I was sitting at the back of the room with a portable light stitching on this block which I finished the next day at the cattle auction. One of the ladies sitting with us asked about the block and when I told her the story, she says, "I am from Chester County! My Family has lived there since the 1790s." Now she is trying to see if she can find any connection with the Criswell/Smith families. So, I gave her my blog info and we shall see. Most interesting is that Sharon posted maps the other day from Chester County 1850s.


CCCQ # 20
While in Bedford I took time to look up Mary's Quilt Shop, which was a few blocks from the cattle sale and I got to look at and photograph a couple of antique quilts as well as purchase the rest of the bolt of a poison green  with black dots. Then went to Hobby Lobby for the first time ever on the way home and bought Fons and Porter's marking chalk pencils and 11 yards of Kona Snow for the background for my soon to be started Beyond The Cherry Trees Quilt. I am a happy girl. I found everything on my list.

And Dear Jane is not neglected and alone now. I have discovered this indescribable rush inside as I am connecting coloured triangles to pieced and appliqued triangles. No one told me it would feel this way once I got to the outside border. Quilters need to know . . . there is this magical ecstacy (almost as good as ch . . . no . . . better than chocolate) after the stress and drudgery of multi-pieced 4 1/2 inch squares.
I . must . go . and . tell . the .whole . world ! !

Blessings,
Chris 

2 comments:

  1. Chester County must have been a very populated place - everyone seems to have an ancestor from there! The Criswells/Smiths aren't among the better known families but if you look for cousins of cousins there are a lot of connections. My Criswell Quilt Tree on Ancestry.com has over 900 individuals listed now, I would be quite happy to get in touch with any Chester County people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your CCCQ block #20 looks beautiful, I really like the design of this block. All the best for the final finish of Dear Jane.

    ReplyDelete