Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2018

UFOs #3 Single Irish Chain 1993

I made several quilts in 1993. I had figured out the how-tos from one of Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day books. I completed at least 4 log cabin quilts. Then I ventured out to a Single Irish Chain. I bought some green and gold fabric and some creamy background. Everything had to match. After a while, I found more green and gold fabrics. 




I drafted out my plan on the back of an envelope. It was years later before I started using graph paper and eventually Electric Quilt on my computer. I was still obsessed about getting the thing to 72 x 90 and and this one was far from it. I was not adventurous enough to try to put some other fabric with it. It was lost in a box for decades. It looks like there is enough fabric - that matches - to complete the thing at 72 x 90. But it will not be hand quilted. At least not by me. 

Blessings,
Chris

PS: I was reminded about another similar quilt I made back in about 2001. I was teaching 10-12  year old girls to sew and they made up most of the nine patch blocks as they learned how to use the rotary cutter and the sewing machine. I had them and their mom's in for tea one evening and they all tried a few hand quilting stitches. I left most of them in. This quilt is on my bed. It is hand quilted but I see I missed a few blocks. I had lost the template years ago and finally found it then misplaced it. If it shows up again, I really should finish the quilting.  





2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Two colors really bring out the design of the quilt. Years and years ago I made this pattern in blue and white. I still use it, although it is becoming frayed on the ends. I hate to part with it because it was one of the first quilts I had hand quilted by myself. I'm going to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, the green Irish Chain, we all have to make one!

    ReplyDelete