Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2019

June OMG 2019 Finish

My one-monthly-goal for June was to complete the last BTCT block.
I have been hand appliqueing these blocks on and off for 5 years.
Kathy at slow-sunday-stitching is celebrating 7 years sharing what others are slow stitching.   
This is where you can find my first post.


This is what all 25 Beyond the Cherry Trees blocks look like in the original setting.
Now to prep the 4 borders.
I think I will prep all 4 at the same time when I have the long tables set up.


Also,
I need something to obsess about.
I really, really want to hand quilt this one.
I have a really ancient frame that my husband's paternal grandmother used here a hundred years ago.
I have considered sewing the whole 100 inches by 100 inches together and
 getting someone else to hand quilt it.
I have considered quilt as you go.
I do have an oval rotating frame that I have never used, yet.
It's not that I do not know how to quilt by hand.
it's just that it is hard on arthritic hands.
But,
I do not have to worry about this right now.
In the meantime,
I will again be taking a summer blogging break.
I will have family visiting and little girls will be here for weeks at a time.
I will be back in Sept with my next OMG.

Blessings,
Chris


linking with:
oh-scrap   cookingupquilts    boms-away  emsscrapbag slow-sunday-stitching  quiltingismorefunthanhousework. monday-making  busyhandsquilts

16 comments:

  1. Wow, great finish! Your blocks are beautiful. Enjoy your break before hand quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous project! Thank you for sharing...it is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work. It doesn't matter how long it takes, to get there is the ultimate goal. Personally, I would hand quilt it because it's that kind of a quilt. But I am not you and you know your limits. Enjoy the summer and the grandchildren. Take care. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cherry trees looks beautiful, the appliqued border will be frosting on the cake! Hand quilting will look beautiful but it's your decision, 100 by 100 is a pretty large quilt. Enjoy the summer with family and the grands. Happy summer stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Your blocks are beautiful. Enjoy your summer. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous blocks! Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is going to be amazing. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing quilt your Beyond the Cherry Trees is. This would look fabulous hand quilted. Enjoy your Summer break with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful applique and such a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on meeting your goal... great job!
    I vote for hand quilting on the vintage family frame. Just a few stitches at a time over the winter will finish it in no time!
    And it will make for a great story for the quilt, AND great blog posts for us to enjoy :)
    Happy Stitching and enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the finish! One strand of quilting a day.... it will get done eventually =) A nice cross hatch would look lovely on it. Enjoy the summer with family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it wonderful when we can accomplish our OMG, and yours is going into a fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quilt is beautiful! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blocks are magnificent, Chris! If you really want to hand quilt it, then I think that's what you should do. Just give yourself plenty of leeway. Ease into it slowly and see how your arthritis does. Maybe 20-30 minutes a day and see how that goes. Also reach out to other hand quilters to find out what tips and tricks help others to quilt despite arthritis. I feel like I saw a quilter wearing some kind of supportive fingerless gloves or something once but I can't remember the details now. You have no deadline, so just stretch it out and work on it when you can and stop if your hands start to hurt. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Chris

    We recently discovered rubbing castor oil on the hands and knees bring almost instant relief to the pain and stiffness in the arthritic joints. Crazy how by just rubbing some into the skin has helped. Your slow stitching proofs, how a little bit at a time, gets projects done. Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blocks are beautiful! Such a lot of work and care, and especially careful placement and stitching! Well done. I can see why you would want to hand quilt this one. It will surely become an heirloom! I hope you enjoy your summer with your family.

    ReplyDelete