I bought a new keyboard for my desktop computer. I have been reading about writing this week and had a couple of aha moments. My writing coach offered 16 free kindle books on writing/publishing online/marketing etc. So instead of writing my thousand words a day, I was reading ten thousand words a day instead. So the first thing I did was buy a new keyboard and stapler and tape and pens and desk calendar and markers; well pretty much everything at Staples. But not chocolate. I bought that at the grocery store today and came home to rip open the bag and discover that I got peanut butter M&M's. I hate peanut butter. I thought I got plain since it was a red bag.
So, I initially thought this new keyboard was very similar to my old one but with a comfy wrist rest and a slightly curvy and bumpy ergonomic look to it. But now, as I practice using it, I see that there is an additional backspace bar to the left of the space bar. I had been using the old one for four and a half years and often had to re-type letters that did not appear even though I had typed them. I tried burping the thing to dislodge some of the crumbs and dirt but I only made a mess and the problem did not disappear.
This thing also comes with a new mouse. It is different from the old mouse. Same black colour but different. I will get used to it. Something else that is different is that the nice comfy wrist rest takes up an additional two inches of space so the mouse now sits a bit further away. This means I have to move my hand further to use it. I can get used to that also. So far I like how everything is working. Especially the wrist rest.
The first aha moment was when I read that searching for words to write, looking for keys while typing, and editing as I go engages both right function and left function of my brain at the same time causing brain freeze, or analysis of paralysis as I have often called it. Using the practical and the creative at the same time exhausts my thinking and I do not get very far. Having said all that, I have been editing as I go here because that is how I have done this for so many years. I think this may explain why I have preferred to do my writing by hand then just typing it all out later.
Now the other aha moment. I am writing non-fiction. And I get this brain freeze thing. So one writing coach suggested writing each chapter as a letter to someone specific explaining what the chapter is all about. So I took a nap. A nice long four hour nap. The kind that leaves me refreshed and ready to stay up till the wee small hours and write. I awoke from the nap with a dream about how I could format my chapters as I write these letters to a friend. Problem is, my friend's name is Jane and I cannot start each chapter with "Dear Jane". Jane is my alpha reader and prayer partner for this project. Also, Dear Jane is the name of a reproduction quilt from 1863 that I spent 5 years making. I will figure it out.
In the mean time, I plan to write an entire chapter before going to sleep tonight. I will try to not edit as I go. I can do that tomorrow as I proof what I wrote. I realize now, that I use the mouse for editing and I could just put that out of reach while I write.
Blessings,
Chris
So, I initially thought this new keyboard was very similar to my old one but with a comfy wrist rest and a slightly curvy and bumpy ergonomic look to it. But now, as I practice using it, I see that there is an additional backspace bar to the left of the space bar. I had been using the old one for four and a half years and often had to re-type letters that did not appear even though I had typed them. I tried burping the thing to dislodge some of the crumbs and dirt but I only made a mess and the problem did not disappear.
This thing also comes with a new mouse. It is different from the old mouse. Same black colour but different. I will get used to it. Something else that is different is that the nice comfy wrist rest takes up an additional two inches of space so the mouse now sits a bit further away. This means I have to move my hand further to use it. I can get used to that also. So far I like how everything is working. Especially the wrist rest.
The first aha moment was when I read that searching for words to write, looking for keys while typing, and editing as I go engages both right function and left function of my brain at the same time causing brain freeze, or analysis of paralysis as I have often called it. Using the practical and the creative at the same time exhausts my thinking and I do not get very far. Having said all that, I have been editing as I go here because that is how I have done this for so many years. I think this may explain why I have preferred to do my writing by hand then just typing it all out later.
Now the other aha moment. I am writing non-fiction. And I get this brain freeze thing. So one writing coach suggested writing each chapter as a letter to someone specific explaining what the chapter is all about. So I took a nap. A nice long four hour nap. The kind that leaves me refreshed and ready to stay up till the wee small hours and write. I awoke from the nap with a dream about how I could format my chapters as I write these letters to a friend. Problem is, my friend's name is Jane and I cannot start each chapter with "Dear Jane". Jane is my alpha reader and prayer partner for this project. Also, Dear Jane is the name of a reproduction quilt from 1863 that I spent 5 years making. I will figure it out.
In the mean time, I plan to write an entire chapter before going to sleep tonight. I will try to not edit as I go. I can do that tomorrow as I proof what I wrote. I realize now, that I use the mouse for editing and I could just put that out of reach while I write.
Blessings,
Chris
Well, I did a little google search and did you know Jennie or Jenny was actually a nickname for Jane back in the 1800's? Or use another name you like..... Good luck writing tonight after that power nap! Bummer on the M&M's... I've never tried anything other than plain or peanut.... both of those are yummy.... I think I need a jar for my desk. No wait... that could be dangerous!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the writing Chris. My Blog is my creative writing outlet, which probably is why I take almost a day to write a post as I also edit as I write! It also helps me to read the article out loud.
ReplyDeleteCheers AussieKilted