Pages

Saturday, June 8, 2019

Thinking About LE


Kay Triplett posted this picture from one of her antique quilts. It appears to be the same center that is in Esther Aliu's Love Entwined love-entwined-pattern  without the center and circles around the outside. This pattern was first released by Esther in June 2013. I collected all 18  months of patterns and lots of fabrics in anticipation of making this unique 1790 reproduction quilt. Problem is, I could not decide what colour to make that center compass. So I started a blog and a dozen huge reproduction applique quilts later, I am still thinking.


I bought the book showing the original coverlet.  Found an old library copy on amazon at a ridiculous price of $15. I love the smell of old books. Almost as much as new books. I saw one in progress at a retreat a couple of years ago and loved her choice of soft reproduction fabrics. I was told to pick a green first. But then, I probably could make the thing without any green. Or red. I am tired of red. Especially Civil War reproduction red and poison green. The jury is still out on cheddar. I have not used much of it so cannot say.



My final decision now, I think, is that I will NOT be making Love Entwined. It has only taken me six years of not making it to realize that I do not want to make it. Instead, I am anticipating designing  my own medallion quilt from some of the many options I have in the many books on antique quilts in my library. No hurry at this point. I have a doctorate to complete and a book to write.

Blessings,
Chris

4 comments:

  1. I downloaded Love Entwined also but it's not going to be made here! Love seeing all the different LE's made by other people. Your own medallion quilt will be lovely. If you need a color suggestion, blue is a wonderful color! Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed that you even CONSIDERED making the Love Entwined quilt!!! It's not something that I would ever hope to tackle. Best of luck with designing your own medallion quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here -- when I downloaded the LE patterns originally, I knew my skill level wasn't yet up to snuff to tackle it yet. But meanwhile, the more beautiful versions of the quilt I see made by others, the less interested I am in making one of my own. There was a beautiful LE in the Spring Paducah show in April, for instance. So beautiful up close and in person! But there just doesn't seem to be much room for personalizing it beyond what others have already done, and it's a HUGE time commitment. I do love the medallion, though. I'm sure you'll come up with something fabulous for it!

    ReplyDelete