Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2019

Original Beyond the Cherry Trees Quilt


The Original Beyond the Cherry Trees Quilt
I have been working on this quilt off and on for  5 years. I started it when my first grandson was born. Most of these blocks have traveled around the world and back with me as I stitched on trains and planes and in cars and airports and guest rooms not to mention hours and hours of little grandchildren babysitting time.  
I bought the digital download at an insane sale price from
sentimentalstitches.






This last and final block was one of the first ones I started but had difficulty with those fingery things so it ended up at the bottom of the block pile every time I took them out. 

Since I started this quilt, I have "mastered" needle turn hand applique and back basting. Mastered in the sense that I have gotten as good as I will ever get and loving every stitch. I started and completed no less than 3 hand applique quilts after I started this one, which is one reason it has taken me this long to get to this point. 
CCCQ, 1857 Album Quilt  Dear Daughter. Not to mention lots of other hand work on the Morrell and Antique Wedding Sampler. 


My June OMG one-monthly-goal will be to complete this block. 
Blessings,
Chris
linking with slow-sunday-stitching  quiltingismorefunthanhousework.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, hand applique is so portable and convenient like that isn't it. Besides all the ways it is soothing to stitch and relaxing. But I understand coming up against a tricky part. That happened to me with the Grasshopper pattern. I've put mine away but it is always in my mind it seems so someday, like your pineapple top, I will have to tackle it again. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the "price" thing!!! You are doing great! I have also "set aside" quilts - am now going to finish Pat Campbell's Jacobean Holiday! Just finished all the preparing of pieces. I do traditional applique - no glue! Take care and enjoy the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be a stunning heirloom, Chris! The longer you spend working on it, and the more places you take those blocks to work on them, the more memories get embedded into the quilt along the way. Five years is NOTHING by my standards. I've got three WIPs that are 5 years old and another that is 6 years old, and none of them are near the finish line. Like yours, they get set aside while I crank out something more manageable for a deadline, or while I learn a skill that I need to finish them. Finishing is overrated anyway -- I'm all about enjoying the process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris! What a great post. To have learned so much from working on one quilt, and for it to have inspired three other quilts that you tackled without issue is just fab. Don't you feel accomplished having this one that much closer to finished?! Great job. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Chris

    Your applique quilt is beautiful. It us amazing how much we get dine, while waiting and travelling. Love the colours. It is an achievement to celebrate.


    ReplyDelete