Pages

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Learning to Knit

Almost 12-year-old Ava won 3 door prizes at the Sunday Slow Stitching Retreat a few week. Two of the prizes included yarn as well as her goodie bag. I found a pair of knitting needles among the stuff when I was looking for the red thread to continue needle turn appliqueing red circles on Beyond The Cherry Trees borders. It was in a box of scraps from my Rainbow Scrap Challenge project. Now how did it get in there? But I digress.

The other night I told Ava I was going to teach her to knit. The first thing was to roll a ball of purple yarn. She whined and complained but did it. It is more like a pear or pomegranate than a ball but she did it. Next, I showed her how to cast on. I was her age when I learned to do that with 2 needles. I had to remember how since I have not knitted anything in some 20 years, and that when I was teaching 10 year olds how to knit.



She shrieked, "I don't know how to do that!!" Well of course not. That is what I was going to teach her to do. After a few tries, she got it. Then she was eager to learn to do the first stitches. I told her it was bedtime and she would have to wait until Friday for her next lesson. "Can I take it to school to work on?"

"No. But, if you want to practice, you can do that with a pencil and some string." So she got some string and a pencil. I think we have a convert.

I won one door prize and 6 year old Devan claimed it as well as what was left in my goodie bag that I had not traded with Ava. There was a pretty purple and green charm pack. I have ideas. But I had a plane to catch on Sat and was out of the country visiting a sister. I took one BTCT border to stitch on cherries. There will be at least 167 by the time I finish all 4 borders so only about 110 to go.

When all is said and done, I said more than I did. I did not complete my OMG for October. I did get one border filled with appliqued cherries but not the second one. That will have to be next month's goal. But for now, I need to keep writing.

Blessings,
Chrislinking up with: needleandthreadnetwork 

No comments:

Post a Comment