Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Some Slow Weekend Stitching

The first week of school is behind us now and we did not lose any children. Well, not quite. The 6 year old got on the wrong going home bus Friday, but after a few phone calls Daddy met her at the bus stop near Mommy's house so all is well. The girls are all at the farm this weekend. One is hiding somewhere on her ipad another is helping Grampa do stuff around the farm and the 5 year old is doing science experiments here in the quilt room. She is determined to make some spray paint for her treasure chest. We agreed that quiet is a good place to work on our projects.


And what am I working on this weekend? Dear Daughter of course. I am more than a few blocks behind but have been prepping several for hand applique. I could have gotten quite a few stitches done as I sat at the end of our very long lane way waiting for the bus if I had known it was going to be  25 minutes later than the suggested drop off time. The girls can eventually walk home but for now it is comforting for them and the bus driver for one of us to be there.


I have been doing some back basting prep work on a few blocks. I totally messed up on this one a few months ago. I had cut out each of the buds and stitched them in place them laid the leaves piece on top. I missed. But since we were away at the time, I just started stitching the leaves anyway and figured I'd figure it out later.


This is later. I pinned back the leaves and started over with the buds. I will know soon if this works. In the meantime, here the  only other blocks I made earlier in the summer.



Blessings,
Chris

linking to 
lovelaughquilt  main-crush-monday   mid week makers  BOMs Away  let's bee social  needle-and-thread-thursday  can I get a whoop-   needleandthreadnetwork    esther aliu's WOW  slow sunday stitching

13 comments:

  1. I hope your buds and leaves work out better for you this time. Quiet crafting time sounds like a great way to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was awakened very early this morning by one who brought her ipad and headphones into my bed then the other begging, begging, b-e-g-g-i-n-g for Gramma to come downstairs to help her make a ninja costume. The first got a bloody nose when the ipad hit her face ?? and the other gave up on Gramma and went looking for Daddy to help. He is now making breakfast and it is my turn for the shower and church awaits.

      Delete
  2. Love the applique pieces. Most of the schools here in Ohio start at the end of August. Then there are FOUR weeks in which the kids don't go to school the full time! It's a pain if you ask me. Wish we would start back after the county fair and Labor Day too. Glad all started without any mishaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in Canada we always started back the day after Labour Day. They go until the very end of June.

      Delete
  3. Prepping applique blocks takes time. But, always worth it when the block is finally complete! I love listening to podcast when I am in the sewing room, but sometimes I prefer sitting in the quiet when I am hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy prepping my applique blocks ever since I switched to needle turn hand applique and then back basting. I get into a rhythm and try to prep as many blocks as I can find or until I run out of tiny pins.

      Delete
  4. What beautiful applique work you do! And Carla's right -- the prepping can be tedious, but the effort is well worth the gorgeous results! Have fun stitching! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a wonderful project to keep you slow stitching for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My aim is to have these 12 blocks completed before the next 4 are released.

      Delete
  6. Your life is going to be more excitement and drama now with granddaughters living with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just discovered applique and love it. Yours looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful blocks. Enjoy your handwork.

    ReplyDelete