Pages

Monday, September 3, 2018

UFO #1 Dolls of the World 1979

A lot of years ago (probably 40), I did textile painting with Tri-Chem. It was not anything original or artsy. Mostly paint by number. I painted up many Dolls of the World blocks intending to make a quilt some day. That day has not yet arrived. I gave  some of the blocks to one of my sisters. I wonder what she did with them? My first born daughter Denine died around that time and this ended up in a box somewhere and found recently in a mass de-clutter. 



At a local quilt guild meeting several years ago, the guest speaker was a quilt appraiser. She explained how appraisal and actual monetary value were not the same thing. She had in her collection a few unique, one of a kind quilts. One of them was the aforementioned Dolls of the World. At that time, I wondered if I still had the blocks. I did! I do. I seem to recall I planned to sash them in a solid red. 






I always had this thing in the back of my head telling me that when (not if) I completed quilts, they had to be a minimum of 72 x 90 inches in order to qualify showing them at my local fall fair. Seriously. Then, my adult kids got queen sized beds and I was trying to figure out how to grow the quilts I was making to fit on the larger bed. Then, my son got a king bed and I quit trying to figure it out. 










I did another similar to this with fairies flowers, completed it and hand quilted and donated to the Home where our daughter lived the final year of her short life. 
This is a poor fuzzy picture, but I could not scan it and it was a photo that "just happened to show up" the other day. 
I recall I had a birds of the world kit I made up and thought it would be nice to make it up with fabrics, but at that time I did not know how to applique and wondered why anyone would spend that much time making it anyway. 






Dolls of the World will be a throw size. When it is completed.  Any of you modern quilters out there have creative ideas how I could finish this ?

Blessings,
Chris

linking to throwback-thursday

12 comments:

  1. Love the red sashing around the doll blocks. Sorry to hear of your daughter. No clue on the finishing.... although it looks like you have a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I did find a piece of the red and tried to figure out how to make it enough. At least there is enough for sashing.

      Delete
  2. Isn't that funny how the guild's guest sparked that inspiration again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Mountie block caught my eye! I think you should buy some of the Canada 150 fabric or even just Northcott's Canada fabric (Moda had some good stuff too that I got) for the final borders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea Sandra! I have a whole bin of that fabric for the 150 quilt I sort of started and made a few blocks. I will check it out to see how they play together. The red I have here is a poly cotton.

      Delete
    2. To finish the doll quilt first border the red the same size as the sashing. Second border a narrow red and white check. Third border the same red and size as the second border. For the binding if you can find it a red and white stripe done on the bias...Nancy. F. Smith

      Delete
  4. No ideas on the finishing, but I think the painted blocks are charming and that you did a great job on them. Wondering how in the world you found time to write a book with so much on your plate. I do know that my daughter writes, and it has helped her following the loss of her husband. I will continue to follow your UFO parade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wrote the book 7 years after she died and finally published it last year.
      It brought the most incredible healing and I no longer had to carry the story so was free to move forward in life.

      Delete
  5. The red Sashing brings life to the quilt love it. Cute painted blocks, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your doll blocks are amazing! The red sashing really sets them off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like such fun to paint these kinds of blocks! Yours are adorable. I like Sandra’s idea to use the Canada fabric—especially since you have some on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun story, especially giving up on figuring out king sizes. For a quilting suggestion, try dividing the sashing into lines, then fill each line: one with circles, the other two with a continuous up/down lines. SID around the dolls, then do different fills around them within the block. Be sure to show this again when you get it done!

    ReplyDelete