What are the Morning Pages you might ask? Well, let me tell you. It is writing three pages of whatever comes to your mind first thing in the morning. Simple and yet most profound. Julia Cameron, the author of the Artist's Way, teaches on this practice and millions have jumped on board and had their lives changed.
The purpose is to unblock the creative within ourselves. For me, it was one way to stop the mental squirrels in my head from running laps distracting me from focusing on completing my doctorate. And it worked! It really did! It took me 7 years to submit 7 courses then 3 months to submit 5 courses. And now I am Dr. Christina.
I wrote 3 handwritten pages every morning as soon as I got up. It is writing from the stream of consciousness when I was barely awake and starting to think and be rational. I started a new morning routine. Get up around 5-6. Bathroom. Turn on kettle ( I took one upstairs for this purpose). Make my bed. Make my tea. Start writing. Take out tea bag. This all takes about 5 minutes. Write for 3 pages then stop, about 40 minutes (I do not write that fast). Breakfast then 10-12 hours of coursework. I even had time to take a nap and was in bed by 9 most nights.
There are a few simple rules:
- Write first thing in the morning before you are fully awake.
- This is called stream-of-conscious writing.
- Write 3 pages. No more. No less.
- Write longhand.
- Use an 8 1/2 by 11 notebook.
- No thinking.
- No analyzing.
- No stressing.
- No censoring.
- No editing.
- Just write whatever comes to your head.
- It does not have to be pretty.
- Do not read anything you have written for 3 months.
- Do not let anyone see what you have written.
Hello, Chris. I too have ADHD and I wonder if this would work for me but why 3 pages? Since all I do all day at work is type I don't think my fingers can write 3 pages anymore. You know I mean. Than what? Do I have to collect them? Can I burn them? I do believe that taking the time to hand write pages will activate the brain in a different way than a keyboard and I might just be curious enough to give it a try. New Year's coming after all. Thanks for the inspiration. ;^)
ReplyDeleteYes, they have to be handwritten. And do it first thing when you wake up. The process uses different muscles in your hands and brain. I love it. Let me know when you decide to start and I will be your cheerleader. Three is enough. Those are the rules. I am sure she has a reasonable explanation in her book. Two will get you started nicely but not challenge you to keep going. And you do, after all, have to start your day sometime.
DeleteI use a Pentel RSVP pen because it is fine and flows so easily and smoothly with my arthritic hands.
So fun to read that your are Dr. Christina!
ReplyDeleteI like your approach to writing!
Congratulations Dr. Christina!
ReplyDelete