The anger, depression and suicide part of my menopause journey was beginning to change into peace and joy. This was the year I had 2 of my completed quilts photographed and published in Rosemary's latest book More Biblical Quilts. I was on a header and decided that I should try to design my own quilt since I had learned how to draft patterns from a photograph.
I decided to use one of Jinny Beyer's border prints and the Radiant Star layout. My challenge then was to find fabrics to go with the turquoise, gold and black border print that I chose. They all had to match. I did not yet know how to pull in other colours. I made plastic templates and a few test diamonds that I hand pieced. I got stuck, to say the least. I started no less than 7 quilts that year and completed 3 of them right away. Actually, I cut out, sewed up and machine quilted 2 of them in just 3 weeks each all the while milking cows, driving tractor and writing research papers. Goes to show what can be accomplished with a deadline and incentive.
Blessings,
Chris
I can totally relate to the accomplishments you made that year. Around fifteen years ago I whipped out one quilt after another, entered quilts in the county fairs, worked in the chicken houses, fed cows, and drove the tractor in the hay fields. I still do all these farm things, except feeding cattle, but at a much slower pace. Age has crept in... I counted twelve UFOs inside the cupboard last week; some daughter may be gifted with these when the time comes. ;)
ReplyDeleteThat was a great year of finishes with deadlines. Pretty fabrics. I have way too many 'projects' that are just at a standstill. Maybe I need some deadlines? Hope you have a good week.
ReplyDeleteJinny Beyer’s fabric sure gave you some gorgeous diamond piecing...why is that we go through periods of time in our lives that we can accomplish so much and yet at other points, we seem to be back peddling (as I feel right now) While quilting is a passion for most of us, it is sure filled with challenging times...
ReplyDeleteTake care of yourself - I read in one of your recent blogs where you have some very busy weeks ahead of you.