Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2020

Rainy Saturday @ Farm

Saturday it was raining outside. At least we don't have to shovel rain. The kids were playing inside and actually being rather quiet this time. Who would have thought 5 children could play together all day without too much noise. Maybe I am going deaf. Wait! The new teenager is usually hidden away in her room. She was giving manicures in the morning. I passed this time. She was finished all her school work and bored, so she made me a smoothie. Then at midnight, she started baking a cake in a mug. It was delish!

We used the GO cutter and 2 1/2 inch strip die to cut out a gazillion strips out of construction paper for the kids to make paper chains. They haven't started yet because they were, you know, playing quietly. One wants to use tape. I said no. And I just bought 4 large new rolls. I suggested glue since I have a whole case of it. One suggested staples. Maybe. I just bought a new one so we have about 20,000 staples. Another wrote names on with glitter glue but had to wait for it to dry. And then, she wanted to sew but I encouraged the pirates game. 


I meet with a few friends on Facebook to sew on Saturday mornings. So we met and we sewed. 

I did a bit of hand stitching on an Ella block. Now it's time to do a few skinny stems. But how should I proceed? I could hunt up the bias makers or just do the back basting thing. 


The last skinny stems I did were on this 3030 Block. I cut thin strips on the bias and pinned them in place. Then, I stitched up one side and down the other. Fortunately, most of the stems will be covered up with the rest of the flowers. 

I finally finished hand appliqueing the yellow flower buds. I think the rest of the flowers will be pink. and there will be 4 green leaves. 

This can be my handwork for Slow Sunday Stitching. 

Blessings,

Chris

linking with: quiltingismorefunthanhousework.





5 comments:

  1. Having family at homeis great! Enjoy playing with the kids ;)
    Pretty appliqué blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of creativity going on at your house! How fun!
    ENjoy your hand stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work you have going on Ella, and keeping 5 kids occupied is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a nice Ella block! And I love your skinny stems. I'm planning a quilt with stems, and I think I'm going to use vintage bias tape. It's single fold and 100% cotton. A lot of the old applique kits from the 1930s used this kind of tape for stems. It's hard to find the skinnier kind, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure wish they still made that 100 percent cotton single fold bias tape! I have an upcoming applique project with tons of curvy skinny stems. I'm going to have to make my bias tape, though. I think I'll get one of those gizmos that folds the bias strip while you iron it.

      Delete